Is fluid that ripples under the skin normal after a tummy tuck?

I am 3 months post op from a full tummy tuck with lipo and muscle repair. I'm pretty small (26 inch waist) healthy weight etc. But I've noticed that the skin above my belly button isn't sitting tight and I can see fluid ripple underneath it. When I move or tap the skin, it ripples. And when it sit down, I get folds because the skin is sitting on fluid. My surgeon won't see me for over a month and I'm distressed about my results and worried. I have been in my compression garment for 3 months

Seroma

It appears that you have a seroma. I recommend speaking to your PS and letting him know you have one. I'm sure he'll make the time to drain the fluid. Seromas are relatively common after tummy tuck and can easily be treated. 

Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Fluid concern

Hello and thank you for your question. It sounds like what you are dealing with is whats called a seroma. Its important to have that fluid removed as soon as possible so you don't have any irregularities with healing as you continue to do so. You want to make sure that your doctor is aware that this is what you have so they can have you be seen sooner. Best of luck with the rest of your healing!

John W. Tyrone, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Seroma after tummy tuck

Hi rowbow88,

It sounds like you may have a Seroma, which is a fluid collection under the skin.  At 3 months out, it is likely that these fluid collections will require more aggressive treatments and won't resolve on its own.  Please make sure you surgeon knows about this and you see them soon.

Hope you get in to see them soon.

Dr. B

Seroma

Typically by three months post op a compression garment would have been discontinued. Visible rippling and fluid-like movement could mean that you have a seroma. Your Plastic Surgeon must examine you in person. Ultrasound can determine the nature of your seroma and drainage or further intervention would likely be necessary.

All the best

Tummy Tuck

from your concern it sounds as if you may have a seroma,which is a small pocket of fluid under the skin. It is easily treated and may also resolve on its own. I'm sorry you aren't able to see your plastic surgeon sooner, but I would imagine if you let him/her know you may have an issue they would be more than interested to see you sooner. Good Luck

Jordan P. Farkas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon