Do I need a blood transfusion during my BBL? What are the alternatives?

I'm concerned in a case where I may need a blood transfusion during my BBL Surgery. What are the alternatives ? I DO NOT WANT SOMEONE Else's BLOOD IN MY BODY especially from DR. That is a NO NO for me!!

Hello, that is a very good question. I practice in the DR and I do not use Blood Transfusions.Blood transfusions may be needed in emergencies in any type of surgical procedure but it should never be done as routine in a BBL. 

There are alternatives. I prefer preparing my patients before surgery. Prescribing a series of supplements and a special diet in order to boost their blood levels, especially haemoglobin. These are taken several weeks or months prior to surgery as directed. Intravenous iron can also be used before or after surgery as well as blood expanders after surgery, if needed.

Though blood transfusions are considered safe, and risk of complications, allergic reactions or infection is low there is always some risks.  Some complications may happen during the transfusion but some can happen weeks, months or even years after. It can take months after a blood transfusion, to determine that a patient has been infected with a virus, bacterium or parasite. For example, there is 1 in 205,000 chance of a Hepatitis B in infection in the US with blood transfusions according to the US National Institutes of Health. 

I feel this added risk is not necessary. I operate on healthy patients. They have to be healthy and strong before surgery and they have to come out healthy and strong after surgery. There is no need to be overly agressive with surgery and turn a healthy patient into an unhealthy or sick patient, to the point where he or she needs a transfusion. I don't think this is proper medicine. Blood transfusions are used as treatment for serios conditions, when the risks do not outweigh the benefits and should not be used as routine in plastic surgery. 

Be sure to do your research and find a surgeon that respects and understands your views.

Best Of luck,

Dr. Miguel Mota                                                                                                                                                  Board Certified Dominican Plastic Surgeon

In the vast majority of cases, this should not be a concern.

Blood transfusion and BBL

Greetings. Generally speaking, people do not need a blood transfusion during a BBL. The preoperative lab work would alert the surgeon to any issues, such as anemia.  If anemia is concern, I generally will not perform the procedure until some corrective measure if taken and/or the primary physician or specialist provides a recommendation.  Good luck!

Ravinder Jarial, DO