is there a connection between hypothyroidism and sinusitis?

hello. I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have sinus problems due to surgery and maximal medical therapy. can it cause sinusitis?

Sinusitis and congestion

Hypothyroidism can cause facial and nasal swelling. If you have decreased thyroid function you should see an endocrinologist. You may also just have sinus dysfunction as well. See an otolaryngologist once your thyroid issues are addressed.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hypothyroidism and sinusitis

Hypothyroidism can cause rhinitis. Its main symptoms are obstruction and drainage. On examination the nasal tissue is swollen. It usually takes years of hypothyroidism for this condition to occur. Therefore it may be necessary to replace thyroid hormone slowly or else there may be adverse cardiac outcomes. It may be a cause for sinusitis so it's important to get that normalized before proceeding with additional sinus surgery

Mark Loury, MD, FACS
Fort Collins Facial Plastic Surgeon