How do you wear you compression "suit" with the drains in?

My surgeon doesn't use binders and told me to buy a garments that looks like a swimsuit (sits just below your bra) but has straps. Just curious on how this suit will when while drains are in place. I can't really find anything online.

Compression garment

Thank you for your question regarding postop garments.  I typically instruct my patients to simply run the drain tube under the garment and bring it out the top or bottom, whichever is closest to the drain entrance in the skin or is more comfortable.  Hope this helps!

Drain tubes with compression garments

As mentioned by others, you can simply run the drain up or down until it gets to a natural opening where the bulb comes out.  If you don't mind trashing the garment, you can cut holes near the drain sites.  Don't forget to move the drain tubing so to avoid pressure sores from the tubing itself.

Curtis Wong, MD

Drains After Surgery

If your surgeon is going to use drains then you should have no problem bringing the tubes out under your garment.  You can also ask them if they will do a no drain tummy tuck.  That would make it a lot easier for you.I have added a web reference and a video for you on this.I hope that helps.Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Drain Tube with Compression garments

You should take the garment you purchase to your PS's office and ask a nurse to show you how best the garment without compromising the placement of the tube. Most likely you will run the tube under the garment and and bring it out from the top or bottom of the garment. Good luck!

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Compression Garment following Tummy Tuck

This is a great question! I always provide my patients with two compression garments following surgery. There are some wonderful garment companies available for you to choose from when researching post-surgical compression garments. As for the drains, yes they are cumbersome although a necessity following a tummy tuck. I will have my drain tubing come out from the bottom of the garment opening, which is in place for when patient needs to use the restroom. This allows for compression and comfort. The drain bulbs themselves are then secured with a large safety pin along a nice wide band at the top of the garment which usually rests below the breasts. I encourage you to follow up with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in order to make sure he/she feels the garment is sufficient for your needs if they are not supplying you with one. I do hope you have found this information helpful and I wish you luck!

Patrick Viscardi, MD
South Bend Plastic Surgeon