Can One Plastic Surgeon Do Hernia Repairs Along with Tummy Tuck?

After a consult for Smart Lipo, I was told it would not do me much good cause I have a hernia (belly button), my abdominal wall is torn, and my muscles are protruding through, which is why I look 7 months pregnant. I know at 45, my skin will not just bounce back, so I was thinking of getting a full Tummy Tuck. Can a plastic surgeon do the repairs along with cosmetic stuff, or will I need 2 different surgeons?

Find a plastic surgeon who is "double board certified" for your TT and hernia repairs

Many of us more seasoned plastic surgeons were trained in the era where the best training required being both Board Certification in Surgery (those who do hernias, appendectomies, gall bladder removals) and in Plastic Surgery.  That way, you can have both done by the same qualified surgeon.

This can be done at the same time

Most plastic surgeons are general surgery trained . For  complex hernia, general surgeon would consult plastic surgeons to assist them with closure. In the case of a simple umbilical hernia your board certified plastic surgeon can repair it at the time of tummy tuck

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Hernia Repair with Tummy Tuck

Most plastic surgeons are capable of repairing small hernias at the time of a TT.  It sounds as if your hernia is larger, however.  Even though I completed a full General Surgery residency and was Board-cerified, I would probably ask a General Surgeon to partipate and perform your herniorraphy.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Hernia repair and tummy tuck.

1)  When I am doing a tummy tuck, I will repair a small umbilical hernia myself.

2)  For a large or complex hernia, I prefer to work with a general surgeon.

3)   Of course repairing the separated muscles (diastasis) is part of the tummy tuck itself.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Abdominoplasty with hernia repair

In general, yes. A trained plastic surgeon has all the capabilities of repair your type of hernia along with performing the abdominoplasty. But make sure the plastic surgeon feel s comfortable. In fact, many general surgeons call on plastic surgeons to help fix difficult abdominal hernias.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

ABdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and hernia repair at the same time

Yes, as stated in most instances a plastic surgeon can repair both but many hospitals and accrediting instittuitions prefer that they be performed by two separate phsysicians. In some instances the hernias are better treated with placement of a mesh material inside the abdominal cavity. In these particular cases, the general surgeons tend to perform this procedure.

Tummy tuck and hernia repair

Most plastic surgeons are able to repair your hernia at the time of your tummy tuck surgery. Most have had general surgery training and have the ability to repair hernias. However, if you have a large hernia, your surgeon will likely have you consult with a general surgeon to assist at the time of the surgery to repair your hernia. So discuss with your board certified surgeon about their comfort level in doing both parts. If it is a small hernia, they will likely correct it without the need for involving any other surgeons.

Hernia and tummy tuck

If the umbilical (belly button) hernia is quite small, then your plastic surgeon should be able to repair this at the same time as your tummy tuck. If the hernia is noticed before surgery to be quite large, a consultation with a general surgeon is recommended as the repair may require mesh at the same time. Then both the general surgeon and plastic surgeon can work simultaneously to treat your abdominal wall. Some plastic surgeons may feel comfortable and competent to repair large hernias on their own.

Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who has familiarity with hernia repair techniques and is also board certified in general surgery.

William Bruno, MD

Can a plastic surgeon do hernia repairs along with Tummy Tuck?

There are many Plastic Surgeons who are Board Certified in General Surgery and Plastic Surgery. In addition, many had experience doing such repairs in their training.

Because of medico-legal issues, many opt to bring in a General surgeon to do the hernia repair in case there are injuries to the tissues in cases of very scarred hernias or where there have been many procedures, which increase the chances of heavy scarring.

I do most of these repairs on my own, as I also was boarded in General Surgery, but on occasion I will consult with a general surgeon.

I have included a video below on the issue of the torn muscle, which is called a Rectus Diastasis. You have a Rectus diastasis with a hernia, and in your case I would most likely include the hernia repair with the repair of the rectus diastasis.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD