Realistic percentage of fat survival after BBL?

What's a realistic percentange of fat survival post transference to the buttocks area considering not sitting on it for minimum of 3 weeks ? Some PS say 50 % will be lost within a year , others say only 30 % survive ... It is an invasive and costly procedure , so I would like some advice . Thanks !

About 60% to 70% fat survives.  final results can take 3-6 months depending the way your body heals.  Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Brazilian Butt Lifts and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.  Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.

Fat graft survival

The fat graft survival percentage is quite variable.  It depends on the surgeon, technique of fat harvest, technique of fat processing, location of fat injection, volume of fat injection, and how well you take care of it.  A more specific answer can be tailored for you during a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Dennis Dass, MD

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

I appreciate your question.

About 60-70% of the grafted fat survives.  At 6 months you will have a good idea of your results. Some women have a second or third procedure which continues to increase your volume safely.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Fat survival after fat transfer

The amount of fat which survives after any type of fat transfer depends greatly on the technique used for harvesting the fat, processing the fat and injecting the fat. A great system is called PureGraft which can yield a fat survival as high as 75%. Consult with a few plastic surgeons and find out how they handle the fat as this will determine the success of the outcome.

William Bruno, MD

Percentage of Fat Survival After Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL)

Anywhere from 30-50 percent of the fat will not survive the BBL process. Good news is that 50-70 percent will. In my practice, my patients are advised to place no pressure on the buttocks for a minimum of SIX weeks to optimize fat survival and to avoid a flat contour. No one goes through a BBL to get a bigger, FLAT butt! I also provide a special sitting roll that is placed under the back of the thighs and under the buttocks for my patients so they can avoid putting any pressure at all on the buttocks during the recovery period. Avoid a donut roll for sitting as you are still pushing against the fat when you're sitting with a donut roll. Best of luck!

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

About 30 - 50 % of the fat is lost over the course of three months post op. This is dependent on how the patients body absorbed the fat, the surgeons technique, post op instructions (I recommend no sitting or applying pressure on the buttocks for at least two weeks). Ensure you consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for optimal results. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Depending on your PS you will lose somewhere between 30-50% of the volume that is injected. This loss occurs over the first 3-6 months after the surgery is done. The loss is secondary to a few things. First, the technique used plays a big role. The more liquid content there is to the fat that is injected, the more volume will be lost as a large part of the "volume" injected is actually liquid (tumescent fluid, interstitial fluid and blood that is mixed with the fat in the lipoaspirate). When you watch videos on social media or you tube and and see that the fat is easily sucked up into a syringe, you know that a good portion of the contents is liquid. If you actually have solid fat, it is difficult to suck it up into a syringe and actually has to be scooped into the back side of the syringe. The second issue is how the fat survives. Very small amounts must be injected into each area as the fat relies on leaching nutrients from surrounding tissue (fat and muscle) to survive. Undo stress such as pressure from sitting can cause increased loss of volume but this only makes a difference early in the healing period (the first 10 days or 2 weeks). In the correct hands you will still have a noticeable difference after the volume loss.