Sleeping Position After Tummy Tuck

I Had my TT on Wed, I Am Comfortable Sleeping on my Side. Will I do any damage by sleeping on my side? I had op 2 days ago.

Sleeping Protocol Following Tummy Tuck

It’s not unusual for patients to have difficulty sleeping on their back following surgery.  For this reason, they are often eager to return to side or abdomen sleeping.  Unfortunately after abdominoplasty we feel that it’s important to keep the abdomen flexed for one to two weeks following surgery.  This avoids tension on the wound closure and minimizes the potential for wound breakdown and spread of the scar.

Therefore we generally recommend that patients sleep in a recliner chair for one to two weeks following abdominoplasty.  Although patients may stay flexed while sleeping on their sides, they sometimes turn and extend their backs reflexedly.  This doesn’t happen in a recliner chair. 

No two patients are the same and for this reason, it’s important to individualize post-operative care.  If you’re concerned about this issue, it’s important to discuss post-operative care with your surgeon.

Sleeping Protocol Following Tummy Tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sleeping position after tummy tuck

Sleep however you are comfortable, even if that means sleeping on your side.  Of course, use reason and common sense--I wouldn't try to sleep on your stomach, for instance.  But if you're comfortable on your side, it's fine.

Sleeping position after tummy tuck

Will I do any damage by sleeping on my side after tummy tuck surgery?

No, you probably wont do any damage sleeping on your side, but the standard sleeping position after tummy tuck surgery is in the "beach chair" or "recliner"  position. This position will  take pressure or tension off of your abdominal incision and relaxes your abdominal muscles, giving you less discomfort.

Sleeping on your side this early after surgery will cause more swelling on the dependent side. There also may be a discrepancy in your drain output (if your surgeon uses drains). Good luck and speedy recovery.

Tummy tuck and sleeping

I prefer that may patients either sleep in a back up position like on a beach chair or lying on their side with their knees bent.

Tummy tuck and sleeping

Sleeping on Side Not Problem after TT

Your body will let you know if you are in bad position sleeping or otherwise following a tummy tuck.  The only downside is that you may develop more swelling on the dependent side if you you tend to sleep on one side only.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Sleeping on Side Not Problem after TT

John Whitt, MD (retired)

On your back is better

I actually prefer that patients sleep on their backs with pillows beneath their knees and behind their backs for at least a month after surgery.

On your back is better

Sleeping Position after a Tummy Tuck

I recommend my patients to sleep on their backs with a pillow under the knees designed to ensure your hips are in a flexed position. This position minimises the tension on the wound and reduces the risk of any potential wound breakdown. Of course you could potentially sleep on your side as long as your hips remain flexed,  however I wouldn't consider this for the first 2 weeks. I would avoid deliberately sleeping on your stomach for at least 3 weeks, after this you can sleep in any position that you find comfortable.

Sleeping Position after a Tummy Tuck

Sleepiong on side folllowing tummy tuck

There are several factors that may influence postoperative activity restrictions and your surgeon may have specific recommnedations. However, it should be relatively safe as long as you do not put excessice pressure or stress on the muscle or skin repair.

Sleepiong on side folllowing tummy tuck

No, I don't think you will do any damage sleeping on your side following a tummy tuck.

No, I don't think you will do any damage sleeping on your side following a tummy tuck. The most important thing is that you are comfortable and your body will tell you if there is any problem sleeping on your side. Essentially if it is not listen to your body if its not painful it should be fine.

Recovering after abdominoplasty - sleep position

I would recommend sleeping on your back with your knees bent up in a fetal position.  You should prop your head and upper back on several pillows. Also, place a sheet or towel over your sheets.