I had coolsculpt; it cured my sciatic nerve pain. Why?

Coolsculpting

There are no studies regarding coolsculpting and sciatic nerve pain. Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting cured #sciatica

Dear samk1234:Excess fat in the abdominal area can cause or worsen sciatica by pulling the spine forward and out of its optimal alignment. Weakness of the abdominal muscles can also cause the spine to move out of alignment and contribute to sciatica. Perhaps by reducing the fat that was pulling your spine forward, there is now less stress on the sciatic nerve.So glad you had an unexpected benefit from the procedure! Keep your abs strong to help prevent a recurrence.  All the best,   Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Cure with Coolsculpt

I have no idea how Coolsculpt could improve your sciatic nerve pain since the cooling would not effect the tissue that deep. Maybe it has something to do with the suction of the applicator. Whatever the reason, I'm happy you are better!Andrew Campbell, M.D.Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting and Sciatic Nerve Pain

CoolSculpting would not be the cure for sciatic pain.  It is only for fat reduction.  That is great that you are no longer in pain, though! 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

CoolSculpting and sciatica

Those two are unlikely to be related but if there is any association you may have stumbled onto something new. Where was the applicator placed? We're there any other therapies you were doing at the same time to treat your sciatica? Again probably not related but would be curious to know specifics.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Thank you for your question. CoolSculpting does not cure sciatic nerve pain. However, I am glad you are feeling better. Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

CoolSculpting and Sciatic nerve pain improvement

Though we think about the many expected benefits of CoolSculpting as they may relate to our appearance and even our self image and self esteem, improvement of sciatic pain is not one of them.  The treatment provides deep cooling to the skin and fat below, but still well above any of the larger nerves such as the sciatic.  It is likely that your sciatica coincidentally improved about the time of your CoolSculpting as nerve pain can spontaneously improve without treatment, or the position(s) you were in during your treatment relieved some of the pressure on the nerve leading to improvement of pain.  A search for exercises to relieve sciatic pain may turn up some of the very same positions you were in during your CoolSculpting treatment.  Glad you're feeling better!  Dr. Shafran

Kerry M. Shafran, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

Coolsculpting and Sciatic nerve Pain

Coolsculpting should not cause sciatic nerve pain to resolve.  Perhaps the position that you were in when you had the procedure helped you in some way.  I am happy that you are feeling better.  Best, Dr. Green

CoolSculpting® wouldn’t directly affect sciatic nerve pain.

This is an interesting question, and I would be curious to know more specific details about your situation and what led to the elimination of your pain. There is no direct correlation between CoolSculpting® and sciatic nerve pain. The handheld device used during CoolSculpting® is simply not capable of penetrating far enough to affect the nerve and is only designed to target visceral fat beneath the skin’s surface. With that said, if there’s no other reason for the elimination of your pain, I wonder if this is a secondary benefit. Meaning, it could be possible that by eliminating fat from your abdomen, less weight and pressure is now placed on your spine and this somehow resolved the pain. Regardless, this is wonderful news. My advice would be to avoid future weight gain and work to strengthen your core in an effort to keep future pain at bay. Best of luck.