Will prescribed Prednisone pack affect my recent Coolsculpting?

I had Coolsculpting done on my Abdomen 1 week ago. I suffer from sever back pain and my Dr prescribed me Prednisone pack today to help with inflammation. Curious to know how/if this can impact my results from Coolsculpting, as I know the inflammation is part of the process. Thank you.

Prednisone and recent Coolsculpting

This is a great question. The prednisone pack should not have a significant impact on the outcome of your coolsculpting treatment. The course of the prednisone is very brief and will have only the impact of a mild anti-inflammatory, but should not have any negative effect on your outcome. There is a theory that if you were on high dose prednisone long term and during your coolsculpting session that this may slow down or inhibit tissue remodeling and you may not get the same kind of healing after a treatment, but this has not been proven for coolsculpting.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Prednisone after CoolSculpting - shouldn't negatively affect treatment

Because your CoolSculpting treatment was one week ago, I highly doubt that prednisone will have a negative effect on your results.  A longer prednisone course taken before CoolSculpting may result in increased bruising after the procedure, but that would resolve on its own with time.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Prednisone after Coolsculpting

Though some patients do get some swelling and inflammation after Coolsculpting, it is not an essential part of treatment, nor does it have any effect on results.  The key component of Coolsculpting is the freezing of the fat cells themselves.  Once this process has occurred (during the procedure), it can not be reversed.  Only weight gain with the long term use of steroids can effect your results now.  Best of luck. 

Grant Stevens, MD

Thank you for your question. Prednisone should not impact your results if it is taken short term. Either way, I would recommend speaking with your chosen provider. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Steroid dose after Coolsculpting

Once the cells are damaged after Coolsculpting, steroids will not affect the clearance process.  Steroids are certainly a concern after surgery with regards to wound healing, however.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Prednisone and #CoolSculpting

While long term prednisone use has been associated with weight gain, water retention, and increased abdominal girth, a short course of steroid, such as a dose pack, should not have significant effects on your coolsculpting procedure. 

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Prednisone and Coolsculpting

Prednisone can affect the results of Coolsculpting if you need to be on the steroids for a prolonged period of time. If you are on a short course of Prednisone it should not have an effect.  Best, Dr. Green

Prednisone and Coolsculpting

While prednisone can cause some water retention and temporary weight gain, as long as the prednisone is short term (less than a couple weeks) I would not expect it to effect the results of your Coolsculpting.Andrew Campbell, M.D.Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon