Coolsculpting applied crooked - cause for concern? (photos)

I got coolsculpting on my lower abs and i realized it was applied off centre after the pad came off (they used the flat one, not the suction). The clinic said it wouldnt matter as they hit the high spots, but will i have crooked abs?

Is crooked applicator cause for concern?

In the first few months following treatment, I wouldn't be too concerned about your end result.  Wait at least 3 months to reassess and if there is a significant discrepancy then talk to the clinic that treated you. From the photo it appears that the area where the majority of the fat is was treated, though, as others have stated, it is a bit baffling why they chose the flat panel applicator.  (It is perfectly safe to use but may not have been the best choice for the optimal result in this case).  For now, don't worry. Look at the area again in a few months and decide from there.  Good luck!

CoolSculpt and the applicator

Hi,  Try to stop worrying at this time.  The applicator is applied but the suction cup "sucks" the fatty tissue from other areas outside the targeted center of the applicator and this allows for a more even distribution of the cooled fat.    Be patient.  If there is a discrepancy in the results (and I doubt there will be...but possible), then discuss this with your doctor and a second treatment should help correct any unevenness.  Your pictures show what we usually see in the initial phases of the resorption process.    I think you will do fine.

Crooked applicator

I Would wait a full 3 months and then follow up with your physician.  If the fat looks like it was reduced asymmetrically, I would discuss treating again.  I have never used the flat applicator on the abdomen though... you should probably ask why that was the choice they made.  

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Selection of applicator types and placements is critical

I have added a link that might be helpful...

Hi 6281anon.  Thanks for sharing photos.  The applicators should be placed over the peaks of fatty bulges for the best results.  Having said that, there are other applicators that are commonly used on the abdomen and yield great results (Core primarily, sometimes Curve +, both come in suction and nonsuction varieties).  Once you see some fat reduction, you may need the edges smoothed out with the other applicators.  Be sure your provider is certified by the manufacturer's advanced training, Coolsculpting University-I personally would not have used a single flat applicator across your belly button.  Best wishes,

Cause for concern

I have never seen a CoolSmooth applicator used on an abdomen and I know it is not recommended to do so.  So, in my opinion, there is cause for concern.  I can see in your photo where the device was placed and it does cover the "peaks" on your abdominal contour but you will have to wait and see if there is a reasonable treatment effect.

CoolSculpting Applied Crooked

I'm assuming your area of concern is the lower abdomen where you can clearly see two peaks of fat. If those areas were included in the treatment then you will hopefully see a reduction. However, I do not agree with the choice of applicator and its placement. I would have used the suction based applicators on you. At this point you would have to wait and see what type of results you get. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Crooked Applicator

Sometimes this does happen but the treatment should feather in. We have used the flat panel (cool smooth pro made for outer thighs) on the abdomen before but only in rare cases. Give it three months and do your follow up photos. Remember the Cool Smooth applicator quotes a lesser percentage of fat reduction than the suction applicators so most likely the "crooked" factor won't be a problem. Best of Luck. 

Timothy Treece, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting treatment and results

Although some providers may use the flat applicator on the stomach, there is no protocol on how it should be placed on the abdomen.  The center of the applicator usually should be placed over the peak of the bulge, so you wouldn't want to put the center directly over the belly button where you have a natural depression there.  Since you already have treated the area, I suggest you wait the 3 months and see how your abdomen looks at that time.  Then you may reassess the treatment area and see if you need any further treatments to reach your goal outcome.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Coolsculpting applied crooked - cause for concern?

Not necessarily.  While it is extremely important where the applicator is placed in planning your coolsculpting treatment to transformation to optimize results, the appearance of an  applicator placed crooked may simply be the result of placement targeting the largest volume excess.  Often this is performed with a larger applicator (Cool Max), to debulk then followed by additional treatment with the smaller applicator to fine tune or sculpt.  The actual results are best assessed at 3 months to allow for maximum fat reduction .

Thank you for your question. I would wait 3 full months before evaluating the results. If you are concerned or have any questions about your treatment, I would recommend speaking to your chosen provider. Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD