I am 5'2" and weigh 300lbs. I am 51 years old. I have a hanging belly. Would lipo and a tummy tuck be possible? (Photo)

Candidate for Tummy Tuck

When patients have experienced extreme weight loss due to diet and exercise, #gastricbypass surgery, or #stomachstapling  or #lapband surgery, there will be excess body skin that needs removal. In order to correct this problem many patients will need a #TummyTuck surgery, #panniculectomy, or #abdominoplasty.   This is becoming a highly requested procedure among patients who wish to rid themselves of excess skin and tighten muscle in their abdominal area. This procedure can be beneficial for women with loose skin and stretch marks following pregnancy, and patients who have undergone significant weight loss.

Women and men who have excess skin and/or fat around the abdomen which does not respond to diet and exercise are candidates for abdominoplasty. Many patients complain that they cannot flatten their abdominal muscles through exercise, which also means a tummy tuck may be right for them. Abdominoplasty candidates have:

·       excess abdominal skin which may sag

·       a disproportionate or protruding abdomen

·       weakened or separated abdominal muscles

·       excess fat concentrated in the abdomen

Other tummy tuck patients may recently have lost a lot of weight and need to have excess skin and tissue removed. Many women choose to have an abdominoplasty following pregnancy. Older patients may be candidates for a tummy tuck due to reduced skin elasticity.

Now, if you are looking to lose more weight it would always be best to come as close as possible to your goal weight before a tummy tuck as the weight loss after surgery would always cause the potential for additional loose skin which would cause a need for a revision. It would be good to visit local board certified plastic surgeons for consultations to determine the most effective procedure for your case. Good luck!

Your options

Hello. A tummy tuck with liposuction can be performed safely in a patient with a BMI below 30. You may consider seeing a nutritionist, exercise physiologist, or a bariatric surgeon to discuss your options. 

DrBurnett#realself100

Weight and surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.

Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30.
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

I am 5'2" and weigh 300lbs. I am 51 years old. I have a hanging belly. Would lipo and a tummy tuck be possible?

Extended abdominoplasty is best for you. Your BMI is a little high-so Hospital Surgery is required . Seek an experienced Board Certified PS for in person exam

Tummy tuck 300lbs.

While you will be a good candidate for tummy tuck at 5'2" 300lbs. your risk of surgery is too high. If you want to consider any surgery safely you must get well below 200.  While this is disappointing it is without doubt in your best interest.

I hope you can achieve a healthy weight loss.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question and photo. You will eventually be a candidate for Tummy Tuck / Liposuction. First, we recommend you lose weight by being on a healthy diet and get your BMI below 30, and being within 10-15 pounds of your actual goal weight.  Your body needs protein, iron, nutrients and yes, even fat, to recover properly. Eat healthy, don't go crazy cutting calories and you will achieve this goal in order to move forward with surgery. 

Make sure you consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss and personalize a treatment plan that works best for you. 

Gregory C. Gaines, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

Yes a tummy tuck would be a good procedure for you.  You need a full examination to ensure you do not have a ventral hernia that also needs to be repaired.  Some liposuction of the sides can also be done to address your hip fullness.  

The stop complication in morbidly obese patients is very high. Best to lose 100 pounds or seek gastric bypass

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  Though you will eventually be a candidate for a full tummy tuck for your hanging abdomen, I would first recommend following a healthy diet and exercise regimen until you reach your desired goal weight. This weight should be one where you are comfortable at, and can maintain, as weight fluctuations will affect your long-term results.  I would recommend also employing the use of a nutritionalist and/or personal trainer to help you in your weight loss journey. With their assistance to identify areas of nutritional deficiencies as well as the opportunity to supply motivation and accountability you should see steady improvement in your weight and overall appearance.  Any weight loss before surgery will not only be in your best interest from a safety point of view, but also in obtaining the best cosmetic results.  

High BMI and surgery

your height to weight ratio places you in the high BMI category. In your particular situation, there is likely fat inside and around your vital organs as well as  The fat that you can grab from the outside with your hands. The internal fat can only be reduced through diet and exercise. The overall result is that you cannot be any smaller than the space that your organs need which includes the extra fat that you have internal. When you're high BMI,  The complication rates can rise dramatically. Most notable is the poor, or delayed wound healing. In your situation, your health status is the most important factor. The hanging tissue around your abdomen can easily be removed and your abdominal wall tightened. Lipo can also be done without too much difficulty.  The bottom line is that based on your height to weight ratio you will be in a higher risk category and you will have to temper your expectations with the outcome. Make sure you visit with a board-certified plastic surgeon to get a more personalize treatment plan prepared for you. Thanks for your question!