Kybella and autoimmune

Hello, I received kybella and I had a unknown auto immune disorder. It's been a year and my body still hasn't recovered. Does anyone have any information to what kybella does to your body when you have autoimmune?

Kybella Question

Hello and thank you for your question regarding Kybella! Kybella is deoxycholic acid, which is a substance naturally found within our own body and used to break down fat. It would be unusual for someone to react to this injectable with an autoimmune disorder. I would therefore maybe consider other triggers? Best of luck, Justin Harper, MD. 

Columbus Physician

Kybella & Autoimmune Disorder

Since Kybella is actually made from a naturally occurring substance in the body, you aren't actually introducing anything foreign when you have a treatment. Therefore, it shouldn't in any way affect your autoimmune disorder. Hope this helps and best of luck in your recovery. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Autoimmune and Kybella

Hello lifeofcoco,Thank you for sharing your question. To date I am not aware of any contraindications or causation regarding Kybella and autoimmune disorders. Kybella is basically deoxycholic acid which is a chemical that is naturally present in the body who's job is to help with the digestion and utilization of fat in our body. When used as Kybella it is injected directly into the fat cells under the chin where it goes to work as it is already "programmed" to do. This is important because if used outside of these parameters untoward complications can occur (testimony to its effectiveness). Hence in the presence of an established autoimmune disorder Kybella can be used safely and if one should arise at some point after a Kybella treatment it would be unlikely the result of said treatment. Hope this helps moving forward.

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Kybella

Many people have automimmune disorders, sorry for your disease.Deocycholic acid (Kybella) is naturally present in the body and is not a foreign substance to the body.Treatment with Kybella should not cause an autoimmune disorder.  

Kybella and autoimmune disorders

Thank you for your question lifeofcoco. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Kybella is the first and thus far only FDA approved non-surgical injectable treatment for the double chin. There are no studies on the safety and efficacy of Kybella in people with autoimmune disorders. So unfortunately we do not know the answer to your question. The only absolute contraindication to a Kybella treatment is an infection in the area. Cautions include those with difficulty swallowing, enlarged lymph nodes, thyroid abnormalities, or bleeding disorders. Theoretically Kybella should not affect an autoimmune condition. The product itself is eliminated from the body in less than one hour. Further, deoxycholic acid is a naturally occurring molecule produced in the liver used to digest the dietary fat. Please consult with a rheumatologist for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Kybella and Autoimmune Disease

Kybella should have no effect if you have an autoimmune disease.  Kybella directly dissolves the fat in a localized area.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella and The Immmune System

Kybella should have absolutely zero effect on the immune system.  This enzyme is naturally produced in the body already and is a substance that we have internally.  It also only works locally, so it is not absorbed systemically.  Your immune status was coincidental and should be worked up by a rhumatologist.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Kybella and autoimmune disease?

Thank you for your question.  Due to possible difficulties with healing after administration it is best that patients with autoimmune disease not receive Kybella.  Depending on what your symptoms may be I would recommend seeing your general medicine doctor for an evaluation.  They can refer you to the specialist best trained to help obtain symptom improvement.  Best wishes.

Effects if Kybella

In general, autoimmune disorders can affect how well a person heals from a procedure ( the disorder, or the medications used to treat the autoimmune disorder, may slow down the healing process). Kybella consists of deoxycholic acid, which acts locally ( where it is placed) to destroy fat cells. It would not be expected to have a distant or long lasting effect outside of its local one. Deoxycholic acid is present in our bodies naturally- it is one of the secondary bile acids, which are metabolic byproducts of your intestinal bacteria. The two primary bile acids secreted by the liver are cholic acid and chenodeoxycholic acid. Bacteria metabolize chenodeoxycholic acid into the secondary bile acid lithocholic acid, and they metabolize cholic acid into deoxycholic acid. So, the chemical substance itself is not foreign to the body. Whatever symptoms you are having would need to be evaluated by your doctors as potentially the result of the underlying autoimmune disorder, or something else.Best,Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician