I ordered Botox online and injected myself about a month ago. Any over the counter prescriptions for the swelling?

II ordered Botox online and injected myself about a month ago. My cheeks went down tremendously but there still swollen and yesterday the sides area of my eyelid become swollen as well. Any the over counter prescriptions ? Anything else besides benedryl and ice? appreciate your time; please advice.

Buying "Botox" online is not safe!

"Online Botox" is not safe! It's scary!

Botox is a produced by one company, Allergan. They send the medication directly to physicians. Most pharmacies don't carry it in stock. And it needs to be kept a controlled temperature. "Botox" from any other source is fake or damaged. 

Even more frightening is the guessing game of the ingredients in the fake "Botox" bottle. Even plain water is dangerous to inject directly in the skin. The problems after injecting an unknown substance are scary: allergic reaction, tissue death, or blindness. 

A big part of the cost of injectables are the safety controls performed by your doctor. Safe product and safe technique lead to safe outcomes. Please see a trained professional who gets their product direct from the manufacturer. If you've had a questionable injection, you should get the bottle and any other information you can get before seeking a trained professional. Safety comes first! 

Buying "Botox" online is not safe!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
"Online Botox" is not safe! It's scary!

Mail order Botox

I have one question: are you crazy? you have no idea what you really got off the internet even if it ways it is Botox. also, it is against the law to get this unless you are a doctor and if it came from out of the US you have to have an import license.  additionally, you had to also have syringes and needles which you should not have and even if you injected only yourself you are practicing medicine without a license.  These are some of the legal problems but medically there is no telling what is going  on and you need to see a board certified dermatologist

Mail order Botox

BOTOX® is not an at-home treatment, and injecting yourself is very dangerous.

BOTOX® and other injectables have become incredibly popular and mainstream, and this may lead some people to treat it as a non-medical procedure. Authentic BOTOX® is only sold directly to physicians by the manufacturer, Allergan. Ordering it online for yourself means that the product is counterfeit and likely contains dangerous ingredients. Do not underestimate the complexity of injecting BOTOX®. Although it may seem simple, there’s much more involved in professionally and appropriately injecting the product. You may not like the price tag of going to a licensed and qualified injector, but that fee goes beyond the actual cost of the product and includes the training and expertise of the person giving the treatment. Visit a physician immediately to be evaluated, as you could have injected something very dangerous into your body.

What you did was not only illegal, but dangerous.

What you did was not only illegal, but dangerous. It is highly unlikely that you received authentic Botox if you ordered it online. Botox can only be purchased legally by licensed physicians directly from Allergan, and anything being sold online is likely a knockoff product composed of unknown materials. I cannot advise you on how to manage your swelling, as I do not know exactly what was in whatever you injected into yourself. Swelling that lasts more than a few days is not a common side effect of Botox. At this point, your best course of action is probably to visit your doctor or a dermatologist to try to assess what kind of reaction is going on and try to figure out what was injected and if it will cause serious complications down the road. In the future, please only get Botox injections from a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon. It is not worth it to risk the complications that can arise from fake products sold online. I hope this helps.

Ordering Botox online is not safe, probably fake product

Botox is made by Allergan, Inc. pharmaceutical company. In the US, only licensed physicians can order it and only trained physicians or nurse injectors, working under the direct supervision of a physician, should be injecting Botox. If you are in the US and ordered Botox online, there is a really good chance you did not get Botox and that there may be things in the product that may be totally inert or very harmful to your skin.

If you are having swelling as a result of the injections you did, the odds are you are having a reaction to whatever the foreign substance they put in there and this may be extremely difficult to get rid of. Make an appointment with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon and see what is going on, what the treatment options, if any, are, and stop trying to beat a system when it involves your own body. By trying to save money, you probably will end up spending much more trying to fix a problem that is totally preventable by going to a derm or plastic and having the procedure done right the first time.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox

Botox should only be ordered and injected by a medical professional.  You never know what you are getting when you order Botox over the internet and not from Allergan directly.  My advise to you would be to seek the advice of a doctor in person.  And bring the bottle of botox with you if you still have it.  Good luck

Botox

Injecting Botox bought from the internet

This is not wise move. I doubt that what you got in the mail was handled properly, let alone if it was actually true Botox. I can't advice you properly because I don't know what was injected. Swelling doesn't usually occur with Botox. How did you know where to inject, from videos on the internet? I highly recommend that you don't do this anymore. Botox is a prescription drug that needs a physician to authorize its use.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Injected non-approved "Botox" - now have problems

Thank you for asking about your "Botox."

• Whatever is going on, you are not having a Botox response -
  • Because you cannot obtain Botox on-line for use in the USA. Allergan only sells it directly to doctors.
  • But there are lots of manufacturers, usually based in China, who make Botox looking fakes and are happy to take your money. These fakes are usually sold via "Canadian" pharmacies.
  • Only the fraudster knows what s/he put in the vial - 
  • You are having some kind of delayed hypersensitivity reaction -  
  • You should see your regular doctor and probably a dermatologist as well for evaluation and, if it persists, biopsy of the affected tissues. 
  • And if you want Botox, get Botox from a licensed provider.
  • If you want to give away your money, give to a charity not a fraudster.
  • Sorry this happened - hope the reaction doesn't prove serious - abut since it's going on for a month, it may be so please don't delay.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Botox swelling

I find it uncommon to have swelling 1 month after Botox injections, and am curious as to the true contents of the product you've received.  Generally, the effects of Botox disappear 3-4 months after injections.  For post-injection swelling, antihistamines, cold compresses, and steroids can be helpful.  However, if you're experiencing continued swelling 1 month after injections, I think you would do well to seek out the help of a dermatologist or plastic surgeon to look for other possible causes.

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox swelling

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Difficult to know

Since Botox is prescription only it is hard to know the contents of the product you injected.
The swelling may persist for some time as your body metabolizes the product.
Non specific treatments include ice and benadryl and massage.

Difficult to know