How many units of Botox will I need for jaw reduction? It's my first ever Botox so I want to go slowly (Photo)

I have a base shaped face which seems to be getting worse, so I'm contemplating jaw reduction. How much Botox will I need to get subtle but sufficient result? Any chances it would give me a sunken in look, which I'm afraid of happening? Also, I have severe tension in jaw-neck-shoulder area that I am constantly aware of, and it debilitates me from concentrating. Can Botox be used to treat such a condition? Is jawline reduction effective in relieving some of the tension?

Botox and Massester Muscle

It sounds as if you will need 25 units per side for each masseter muscle and ongoing treatments for maintenance.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox to masseter

I often put about 25-30 units to each side to get the desired results, but i warn patients that they may require multiple treatments every 4-6 months to achieve the desired result.

Without examining you it is difficult to be certain but generally 30 units per side is a good starting dose. In terms of the other symptoms, if they are related to grinding or clenching of the jaw then masseter reduction may help. Gcp

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Botox for masseters

Generally, we use 20-40 units of Botox for each side of the masseter depending on the size and strength of the muscle.

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Jaw contour softening

Thanks for sharing your question and photos. I can appreciate your concern and agree with your assessment.

25 units of Botox applied to the lower portion of your masseter muscle should give you a nice result without significant weakening of your you activity.

Make sure to have an evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

Best wishes

Botox Facial Slimming

Many of my patients have gotten excellent results with 25 units per side into the masseter muscles. The effect is longer lasting than that of botox injected for wrinkles and usually also improves muscle tension and TMJ symptoms.

40 Units per side works.
You can start 20 per side and escalate up to 40
All the best

Botox and masseter muscle

Dear soopertrooper,

Thank you for your clinical post. From the photos displayed it appears you do have a moderately prominent masseter and a scoring out of the angle of the mandibles. Botox for masseteric reduction helps create a more oval face out of a square strong jaw and depending on the size of the masseter anywhere from 30-60 units may be required. For first time Botox users less is usually more, 30-45 units in each masseter with a follow-up at 4-6 weeks for any adjustment. Generally, the masseteric reduction will last 6-12 months and with a pleasing optimization of lower facial balance.

Whether or not this masseteric reduction will minimize your jaw and neck tension is less clear. Certainly for grinders and bruxers masseteric Botox minimizes the pain associated with temporomandibular joint pressure of the grinding, but it may do nothing to alleviate your neck tension.

I hope this information is of some assistance and best of luck.

To find out more, please visit the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Jawline Reduction

For women, a softer, less prominent jawline is usually considered to be more feminine, and therefore, more attractive. The Botox, injected in both sides of the jaw, will selectively relax the masseter in the days following your injection, gradually making it less prominent and square. The width of your jawline will slowly narrow, transforming your facial shape into more of an oval or heart.

Typically patients receive 50-70 units for masseters, based on the strength of these muscles. 

Upon your assessment, your skilled and qualified injector will be able to provide you with a quote and will determine if you're a good candidate for this treatment. 

Take care. 

Botox for facial contouring

The masseter muscles can be atrophied (in other words, shrink) with Botox injections of about 20 to 25 units per muscle.  For most patients, two or three treatments are needed.  Risk of complication or undesirable results, such as the "sunken-in" look you mention, would be very low in the hands of an experienced Dermatologist.  Keep in mind, treatment of the masseter muscles is a more advanced application of Botox therapy, so be sure that your Dermatologist has plenty of experience using Botox in this manner.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon