I cannot smile after Botox to upper lip for smokers lines? (Photos)

I posted a few days ago about Botox above upper lip for smoker's lines and I thank you all for your reply. It is now 4 days now since 4 droplets of Botox was administered to my upper lip under my nose ( 7 units total to forehead and upper lip). I now have a pulling sensation by my nose when I smile. It is extremely uncomfortable! I have had filler to my lip previously but now I look like marge Simpson. I cannot smile!! What can I do to decrease the profusion and stiffness I have?!

Botox to peri oral area

Botox to the peri oral area can absolutely cause a strange sensation when eating, smiling, talking or whistling.  The good news is is that it only lasts 4-6 weeks! 

Botox for Smoker's Lines

Sadly, there is nothing you can do now except wait for the Botox to wear off in 3-4 months. You should voice your concerns to your treating physician so your next injections can be adjusted to what you need.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Unable to Smile After Botox

Thank you very much for your question and photographs. It is unfortunate that you are unhappy with the results from your Botox procedure. The issues you are experiencing are temporary and usually dissipate in a few weeks. However, it can take three to four months for the full effects of treatment to dissipate. I recommend that you contact your provider with these concerns. Only put your trust in a board certified, experienced Botox provider. He/she can recommend the best course of action for your situation.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Lip lines and Botox

Great care must be used to only utilize a small amount of Botox for the upper lip.  It will go away in a few months and next time you need a much smaller dosage.  Best, Dr. Green

I cannot smile after Botox to upper lip for smokers lines?

Botox typically last between 3 and 4 months, so worst case you may have symptoms (albeit reduced) from a similar period of time. If you remain displeased, visit with a second board certified plastic sugen

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Botox in the upper lips.

Botox in the upper lip usually will interfere with lip function to a certain degree. It needs to be fine tuned to achieve the appropriate response. There are several option treatments for smokers lines like fillers or laser resurfacing. It is important to talk with the injector to explain your issues, this will help you get optimal results next time. Unfortunately, now the best option is to wait for the botox to wear off. 

Jose Roberto Ramirez Gavidia, MD
Nashville General Surgeon

Botox for smoker's lines

You have only been 4 days since the injection so the effect may get worse over the next 7 days or so and there is really nothing you can do about it. It will wear off in a few months and if you want it again be sure a lower dose is used and that the doctor is a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox results after upper lip line injection

Unfortunately, you will need to wait until the Botox wears off for your smile to return to normal. It is important when the upper lip lines are injected that only a small dose of Botox is used (2 units, 4 injection points). I would discuss your concerns with your physician/injector so that he/she knows for future treatments. 

Botox to the lip is an art and can be fine tuned to meet your needs.

Botox helps relax upper lip lines, but needs to be fine tuned to meet your needs.  Your should communicate with your doctor about your concerns so that the next injection can be adjusted to do exactly what you want it to do.  You can also have the upper lip lines removed with laser resurfacing, fractional radio frequency devices, chemical peels or treated with fillers, all of which can help improve the appearance of lip lines. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Botox

Your Botox will resolve after 3-4 months, but unfortunately you will need to work with the results until that time. I would recommend finding a physician that you trust to do fillers in the lip area instead, since if the amounts of Botox you shared (7 units total for forehead and upper lip) are minimal for those two areas. But given your photo, it is likely that the Botox has caused this result.

Pamela Stuart, MD
San Jose Physician