I have a flat spot on the back of my head, could I inject fat in the back of my head to fill the depression?

I have a flat spot on the back of my head, which causes me to always have to spend extra time styling my hair to cover it. I do not want to use an implant , could I do a fat transfer to fill the depression? Or would it cause lumpiness and shifting? Is it safe to inject fat to the head?

Hello & thank you for the question!

Fat grafting is virtually possible in most parts of the body indeed. However, it would be best if you send us pictures so we can better evaluate your needs, as well as sending us more information about it. How long have you had it? Was it caused by a trauma? These among other pieces of info would definitely be of great help!

Please visit a board certified plastic surgeon for further advice and the best, safest results.

Good luck!

Occipital Fat Injections

Fat Injections can be safely done into the scalp but their effectiveness would be limited. Fat does not do well when asked to push out tight tissues such as the scalp so fat survival and its smoothness is very unpredictable and unlikely. I have not had good success with it for skull augmentation efforts. It may eventually work but it is going to require multiple injections surgeries to have a sustained augmentation effect.

Depression on Head -- Fillers like Voluma, Sculptra, Fat

It isn't possible to give you a definitive answer without a consult. Possibilities to fill the depression might be hyalronic-acid fillers, Sculptra or fat. None of these should migrate. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer