My hair thinned because I got it bleached. It won't grow back. What can I do?

hi i used to have very thick hair. My hair was so thick that my hair ties would break. I then went into a salon and a woman put streaks in my hair (bleach). After that, my hair has thinned so much that 80 percent of it has fallen off and not grown back and it has thinned so much. What can I do to grow back the hair? Its been two years and it hasn't grown back. It has thinned quite a bit and I am devastated. Keep in mind I am a 29 year old female.

Hair loss after bleaching

I can't emphasize enough just how important it is to get expert advice. There could be one or more things going on.

Reactions to bleaching, dyeing coloring are common - and becoming more common in my opinion. I've written extensively on this topic.

What can bleaching do?

1. It can sometimes cause no problems. This is the most common scenario.

2. It can sometimes cause hair breakage. After all the damaged hairs are cut and allowed to regrow, the density returns back to normal.

3. It can sometimes cause shedding. The hair sheds 2-6 weeks after bleaching and then regrows.

4. It can sometimes cause shedding which speeds up the unecessary use of hair growth cycles which speeds up the age at which a patient notices they have genetic hair loss.

5. It can sometimes cause scarring hair loss. This is permanent.

Without seeing your scalp, I can't say which is going in. But see an expert. I often biopsy these hair bleaching reactions to evalaute for inflammation and scarring.

Thinned after dying

If it does not return to normal within 8 months, then you may have permanently damaged the hair roots, See a doctor

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair growth for thinning hair

First let me say that it is important that you stop bleaching your hair for a while to allow the hair to return to it's natural state.  For thinning PRP hair therapy yields great results and helps hair regrowth.  You may also want to utilize a cold-laser that bio stimulates hair follicles. A good one that is FDA certified and has science backed results is LaserCap.

David P. Melamed, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Getting Hair to Regrow--Hair loss treatment with prp and progesterone

I suggest seeing a hair loss expert to evaluate and go over your condition and provide you information about your best treatment options. There are great non-invasive options like PRP/progesterone and/or hair transplantation. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer