How can I get rid of my dark birthmark?

I have a birthmark on my leg and it bothers me so bad. Not just because it's ugly I'm known as the girl with the ugly birthmark. Is there any way I can remove it quick without surgery or anything like that?

Removing a Dark Birthmark

Thanks for your question but without seeing it, it is difficult to give you good answer. If it is a vascular birthmark, there are lasers that can address them. If it is a pigmented birthmark, on occasion lasers can work but other times the results are not that impressive. You should consult with a board-certified dermatologist to make the diagnosis, learn more about the birthmark itself, and then it can be determined if yours is a candidate for one of the lasers or not.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Depends on the size and nature... a diagnosis is essential

Birthmarks can be due to different things, and a diagnosis is essential as this will give you a realistic expectation of improvement, and also the number of treatments you may need. 

As a general rule, Specialists use Q Switch lasers to treat birth marks. Not all birth marks respond to Q Switch. Red birth marks can fade with a Vascular laser. 

Bottom line- a diagnosis is essential prior to treatment. 

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and Cosmetic Dermatologist. 
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist