Tips for Getting Insurance to Approve Breast Reduction?

I am 5'7" and last weighed at 210lbs, yes I know I am over weight. My bust is 40 H. I have been working out at my apartment's gym for a few weeks now. I have lost some fat and gained some muscle, and after losing some weight I gained it back without gaining the fat back (so in other words it is muscle) my natural waist is measured (this morning actually) at 34" and my bust is measured at 48", but all my doctor is concerned about is my weight. not my true body fat percentage. Any tips on how I could get my insurance approve my breast reduction?

Insurance coverage for breast reduction.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Insurance Coverage for Breast Reduction

Answer by. George J. Beraka, MD
80% of breast reduction questions on RealSelf are about insurance coverage. Here are some helpful points

1) Insurance companies try very hard not to pay for breast reduction, even though they should. Even small breast reductions relieve many symptoms such as back pain and shoulder pain, and even some types of headaches.

2) Very big reductions (like from an F cup to a C cup) will usually be covered.

3) Many policies will pay for breast reduction if 500 grams (a little more than a pound) or more are removed from each breast.

4) Some policies take your height and weight into account. So that if you are tiny, smaller reductions will be covered. Find out the details of your policy.

5) DON'T get too much of a reduction just to satisfy the insurance company. You will be unhappy with tiny breasts.

6) Your surgeon needs to request pre-certification IN WRITING, and attach as much evidence as possible.

7) Evidence includes letters from your internist, orthopedic surgeon, and/or chiropractor stating that breast reduction will relieve your symptoms.

8) Some companies require that you try "alternative treatments" such as weight loss and physical therapy first.

9) Don't give up. If the first request is denied, demand an appeal.

10) If there is no insurance, and you cannot afford to pay a private surgeon, go to the plastic surgery clinic of a teaching hospital. There, residents do the surgery under supervision, and the cost is minimal. In New York City, we train residents and fellows at Lenox Hill Hospital, and they do good work.

Ask Your Plastic Surgeon to PreApprove your Reduction.

Most insurance companies don't factor in muscle mass.  
Most use some variation of the Schnurr formula which calculates your BSA body surface area, and then each company has a certain number of grams required. 

In many ways, this is fair to most.  Little tiny women have a smaller grams requirement than big women, but it is somewhat proportional. 

Ask your plastic surgeon to seek pre-approval for your breast reduction. Most are approved. For the few that are not, you can calculate how much weight you might need to lose to get approval, or with some plans, you might find the requirements too strict.  In some cases, it may make sense to seek a cosmetic, or cash pay rate.  

Luke J. Curtsinger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Insurance coverage for breast reduction

If you have H cup breasts and your insurance company considers this gigantomastia, rather than macromastia, the weight will not be an impediment to insurance approval. Every insurance company has different criteria. If your chest circumference is 48, then you may not be a 40H cup, but could be a 48 with a smaller cup size. For many insurers, the photograph will say it all. Additionally, each company has its own set of criteria. Some will require a prescribed body mass index. Others look for conservative medical management, such a chiropractic, pain medication, physical therapy, neurology, etc. prior to approving surgery. Become an educated insured and look up your carrier's requirements online. Then see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation who knows how to navigate the insurance system and will advocate on your behalf.

Insurance

Each insurance plan has their own criteria for when they will pay for a medically necessary breast reduction.  Insurance plans are becoming more scrutinous of this procedure.  Typically, they seem to want to see truly large breasts that are ALSO causing or exacerbating musculoskeletal strain symptoms.  They also typically want to see a patient that doesn't have another major reason for those symptoms, such as obesity, and also want to see a reasonable trial of conservative measures to manage those symptoms.  The patient must also be willing to have substantially smaller breasts (not just a lift).  For the average woman, this seems to be at least 500 grams of breast tissue removed per side, although smaller amounts may sometimes be approved--some third party payor utilize BMI- based formulas.  That said, I've often found that women with truly huge breasts are often going to be approved, regardless of their general fitness level, on the basis of a photograph and a letter from their plastic surgeon.  It is definitely worth a consultation to see a plastic surgeon who has a lot of experience with this procedure; they will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Breast reduction: insurance coverage

breast reduction: insurance coverage
insurance will generally pay for the operation if more than 400 – 500 grams are removed from each breast dependent on your individual insurance company requirements. These problems may include neck pain, back or shoulder pain, hygiene difficulty, and breast pain. Other problems which are less likely to be covered by insurance include skin irritation, skeletal deformity, breathing problems, psychological/emotional problems, and interference with normal daily activities. Pre-authorization by the insurance company is required prior to surgery, and the process takes approximately one month. Each insurance policy has different guidelines and exclusions.

Insurance Coverage

Every insurance plan has their own unique criteria on whether they will cover a breast reduction. More and more, we are seeing plans where a breast reduction is not a covered benefit. If it is a covered benefit, some insurance plans set a minimum required amount of tissue to be remove in order to met their threshold for coverage. Some set the amount in relation to your BMI (height and weight). Others require extensive medical records documenting neck pain, back pain, and history of rashes. The other alternative is to opt for a breast reduction as a self-pay option. Start by visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

A Prior Authorization Letter From Your Plastic Surgeon Will Help to Get Your Breast Reduction Approved

Breast Reduction is often considered medically necessary by insurance carriers and is therefore a covered expense.  Before approval can be granted insurance carriers require prior authorization.  This is a time consuming process that may take months.
The process begins with a consultation, followed by a prior authorization letter to the patient’s insurance carriers. This letter should include documentation of the patient’s history, symptomatology,  pertinent physical findings, attempted non surgical management and anticipated amounts of tissue to be removed.
Supporting pictures as well as documentation of conservative management are also very important.  This might include documentation of physical therapy, chiropractic care, the use of specialized support bras and non steroidal anti inflammatory agents.
The amount of tissue removed is one of the more important criteria used by insurance carriers.  This number varies from insurance carrier to insurance carrier.  Its often part of a height weight index.  As a patient’s weight increases insurance generally require the removal of more breast tissue.
In your case, it would be unlikely for your insurance company to deny prior authorization for breast reduction.  The size of your breast would meet most insurance company’s weight removal criteria, especially if you have appropriate supporting documentation.
If your considering breast reduction surgery, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in this area would be helpful in obtaining prior authorization for this procedure.

Getting your breast reduction operation covered by insurance

Dear Madam_Squeak,

Your surgeon is concerned about your weight for a good reason. There are two factors that most insurance companies look at when authorizing operations:

1.) Your symptoms, such as back, neck and/or shoulder pain, postural difficulties, skin problems between or under the breasts, and nerve compression manifested by numbness and tingling in certain fingers.  Furthermore, the treatments one has undergone to try to relieve these symptoms are also evaluated. The company wants to see that more conservative measures like physical therapy have been tried before approving an operation.

2.) This factor is what your surgeon is concerned with.  Before approving an operation, the insurance company's medical reviewer also wants to know how much breast tissue will be removed to determine whether this is cosmetic or functional by their definition.  The Schnur scale correlates an individual's body surface area (BSA) with kilograms of breast tissue to be removed.  Many companies use this scale to help them in making this determination.  So whether it is muscle or fat, your weight influences this number, the higher one's BSA, the more breast tissue needs to be removed to satisfy the insurance company's requirement.

Insurance coverage for breast reduction

Insurance companies look at many factors when evaluating a patient's desire for breast reduction surgery.  The criteria that is most commonly utilized by the companies is the Schnur scale (based on body surface area, not just body mass index or BMI), pain in the neck and shoulders that is not relieved with antiinflammatory medication, and a recommendation from a family physician, chiropractor, or massage therapist that would indicate that a patient would benefit from a reduction.  The weight and size of the breasts need to be impeding a patient's ability to excercise.

The Schnur sliding scale is an important determining factor and is used by your plastic surgeon to assess whether breast reduction surgery may be a covered benefit.  This chart uses your body surface area (calculated by your height and weight) to recommend a minimum required amount to be removed to be considered for insurance coverage.  If the body surface area and weight that is to be removed fall below the 22nd percentile, than the surgery is deemed cosmetic in nature.  If your surgeon believes that he or she can remove the minimum required amount (or more than that amount), then the operation is considered a medical necessity when the appropriate criteria are met.

In your case, your body surface area from your given height and weight is 2.120.  The minimum required amount for removal would be about 750gm or more per breast.  Talk to your plastic surgeon and listen to their recommendations. Good luck!

Breast re

It is largely going to depend on your insurance company and their criteria. If you meet their criteria based on an examination with a plastic surgeon and a prior approval letter that outlines your symptoms and examination measurements, they may, but may not cover it. There's really nothing you can do other than relate the symptoms that you have to make them covered or not. You really are the mercy of the insurance company and the covers that you have. Good luck with it.