Tummy Tuck surgery is in 4 days and I might be getting a cold! Now what? Will doctor's still perform surgery?

I think my kindergartener brought home germs! She and her sister and my husband all had bad colds this past week and I'm suddenly feeling that early onset we all notice and dread! Mom can't get sick ever, but mom REALLY can't get sick 4 days before a tummy tuck. Generally, will doctors still perform surgery when the patient has a cold virus? And should I not take Sudafed if I am in need of relief? (Not there.... yet!)

Sick with a cold 4 days before tummy tuck!

Dear ByeByeBelly33.  That's a very good question and it's something we deal with all the time especially during cold season.  The best thing is to notify your surgeon as soon as you notice you're getting sick so arrangements can be made to reschedule the surgery.  A tummy tuck is an elective procedure which means that it can always be done later and there's hardly any good reason to risk complications such as pneumonia or other infectious problems that can occur if you go into surgery with a cold.  Remember the tummy tuck will hinder your ability to cough and deep breath so you don't want to recover from this TT at the same time you're recovering from a bronchitis or worse.  Being under anesthesia for a few hours with an upper respiratory infection is asking for trouble!  I know rescheduling surgery is a big hassle for you and for your surgeon but safety is first!  

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Can I have a tummy tuck if I'm getting a cold

In my practice, if you are coming down with a fever, coughing or flu like symptoms, I would delay the surgery until you are feeling better.  Talk to your PS.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Procedure and Common Cold

In general I want my patients to be 100% healthy before we perform an elective procedure.  If they are coming down with a cold or are ill before the procedure is performed I would want to delay the procedure until the patient feels better.

As changing a surgery date is never ideal and is inconvenient to all, it is the best thing to do for the patient if he/she is under the weather or ill.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

I'm afraid no one can answer this question but your specific wurgeon. Call the office for an answer.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD