Hard lump above my tummy tuck incision. (Photo)

What could this be I am worried it's a hematoma or something else.. Help!! I am 5 weeks post op and have seen this for a week now and may have gotten a bit bigger since I first noticed it.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Lump

Hello and thank you for posting photos along with your question. Although the photos are helpful there is nothing that can take the place of an in person physical exam. That would be the only way to really be able to evaluate what is going on. If you noticed this 4-5 weeks out then there is a good chance it is a seroma especially if the lump is larger in nature. If you are feeling a small lump then this could be due to whats called "fat necrosis." All that means is some of the fat may have lost its blood supply and then it gets hard. A physical exam should be able to determine what the lump is due to and sometimes an ultrasound can be done to really be sure. If it is a seroma then it will need to be drained and this is usually easily done in the office. After draining it you will need to keep your activity at a minimum and keep that area nicely and tightly compressed for as long as you can without taking off the compression. The most important thing however, is to make an appointment with you plastic surgeon and let them evaluate you, diagnose you and recommend what the next step should be. I hope this helps!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  It is difficult to give you a diagnosis without actually seeing you and examining you in person, but it may be that you have a collection of fluid otherwise know as a seroma.  You need to go back to your plastic surgeon and seek advice concerning this possibility. 

Hi-

It is difficult to get a good assessment from your photos but you should make an appointment to see your plastic surgeon as soon as possible if your having concerns. Swelling and hardness can occur in the post operative period and may take some time to fully resolve. Good Luck!

Jordan P. Farkas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

Great Question! Get in to see your surgeon ASAP- from your pictures alone it does not look like a hematoma- they will usually be a lot larger. It could be a small build up of fluid right there that your surgeon can aspirate out and it will be flat again. Good luck!

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon