Is Pilates Good Homework BEFORE a Tummy Tuck?

I'm booked for a TT in 8 weeks. Per my doc's advice, I've lost weight. I'm down about 12 lbs and will easily and happily keep going until the surgery. I am happy about my results. I also started Pilates and have been more and more active (hikes, long walks, running). I know my private Pilates classes won't fix me enough to cancel surgery as I have significant DR and umb hernia after 2 babies, but will Pilates help strengthen me and result in an easier recovery or post op result?

TT and pilates

Doing core exercises and strengthening like Pilates will be beneficial both before and after surgery.  Obviously you will have to wait until you get clearance from your PS before resuming Pilates though.  Best of luck to you

Will pilates be good before a Tummy Tuck

It is important to keep your core muscles and back muscles strong, so I would encourage you to continue with a healthy exercise program and resume it after your recovery.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Pilates before Tummy Tuck

Pilates and any exercise you do prior to your surgery will absolutely help. Recovering from surgery, especially a tummy tuck, puts a big stress on your body. Ensuring that you are at a healthy weight, following a healthy diet, and exercising regularly will all benefit you during your recovery. Good Luck!

Exercise before tummy tuck

You can absolutely continue exercise (pilates) before your surgery. The more weight you lose before surgery the better your outcome will be.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Tummy tuck

Anything you do to strengthen your body from both a physical and nutritional standpoint will only be beneficial to you as you have surgery and during recovery.  You are correct that exercise cannot mend the abdominal wall issues that you have, but having a strong core will be helpful during recovery.  Good thinking!

Camille Cash, MD