Going a day without compression garment after lipo? (Photo)

I'm 1 month post op and still wearing my garment. I am going to an amusement park tomorrow and it's way too hot for a compression garment. Will I be fine going 1-2 days without it?

Compression garments

Hi, thank you for your question. Compression garments needs to be worn at all times during your first 6 weeks of recovery. The compression garment is important for support and to reduce swelling. Although removing the garment may not cause too much harm, having no garment for long time will  increase swelling.

Thailand Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Garment

I find that after 3 weeks it wont matter too much if you wear the garment as often but more than not for 2-3 months is best.  Dr. Emer.

Going a day without compression garment after lipo?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Compression garments assist in achieving better results

Compression garments are designed to limit and control postoperative swelling after body contouring procedures.  Although it is safe to go without wearing the garment for brief periods, prolonged periods may result in increased swelling, possible contour irregularities, and prolonged recovery period.  You should probably ask your Plastic Surgeon whether this is advisable for you to stop wearing your garment.Good luck with the rest of your recovery!

Daniel M. Calloway, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Best ask your chosen doctor if ok. In my Plastic Surgery practice I allow this issue. But I do not respond to other non surgeon's patients.

Compression after liposuction

I tell my patients it is important to be very strict about their garment for the first 2 to 4 weeks after surgery. After that, the risk of fluid collections and major contour problems is less likely.  But you will definitely notice more swelling if you skip your garment all day walking around at an amusement park.  I would plan to wear it all night at the very least. 

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question and the photo. Since you are only 1 month post op i would recommend you to use a garment, it is just better for your healing process , especially since you are going to be very active all day long. Best of luck  

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Ok to not wear a garment after lipo?

Thanks for your question. I recommend that all lipo patients wear a well fitting garment 24 hours a day for 3 weeks after surgery. I then recommend they wear the garment for 12 hours a day for 2-3 months. Having said all of that, you should be ok with not wearing the garment for a few hours but I would not recommend going for more than 12 hours. The more compression, the better result from lipo. I hope this helps and I wish you all the best.