Can the Tummy Tuck Belt Really Work?

I've been considering lipo, and last night I saw an infomercial last night for the Tummy Tuck Belt -- it's a system that involves putting on a "thermal accelerator" cream, followed by 10 minutes in what looks like a tummy compression garment (the first 2 min are spent doing to standing ab crunches).

The websites claims "Typical results are 0.5" first week and 1" in 30 days without lifestyle change." Is it possible for something like this to actually work? The pictures are really impressive.

Can the tummy tuck belt really work?

Although this may sound like a great way to shed the extra fat without breaking the bank, it is very unlikely that the tummy tuck belt can yield noticeable results let alone results similar to an actual tummy tuck surgical procedure. If you are interested in non surgical procedures, I encourage you to research Coolscultping. Cold suctions are placed on several areas of the tummy to freeze fat cells. It is recommended to target specific areas in two office visits to achieve the best rests. Good luck in your search.

Tummy tuck belt doesn't have scientific proof

I’ve seen this contraption at stores that sell “made for tv” products. Yes, the before and after photos look convincing but from a medical standpoint, I highly doubt that the results they claim to achieve can be in any way honest. You may improve your muscle definition and posture from the ab work, but that’s not because of the belt - it’s because you're exercising. There is no compelling explanation on how, scientifically, this device works.

Loose skin, excess fat and separated ab muscles (diastasis recti) can’t be as dramatically corrected with a gimmick. In fact, if you have had diastasis recti for a while, a compression garment or this belt won’t help much to fix it. Neither will it do anything for the loose skin and stubborn excess fat. Of course, you’re welcome to try it and let me know if it works!

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is

Unfortunately, I would anticipate that this device falls under the old adage of "if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is."  It is difficult to think that this device would be able to correct the anatomy of muscles and skin that is addressed with an abdominoplasty.  If you do not have loose skin or rectus diastasis (separation of your abdominal muscles common after pregnancy), but have certain areas of excess fat that you would like to reshape without surgery, you may be a candidate for Coolsculpting.  Coolsculpting is a technology that has been approved by the FDA and can demonstrate impressive results at reducing the volume of fat in problem areas for the right candidate.  Many board certified plastic surgery offices offer both these surgical and and non-surgical options and can help you make a decision on what might be best for you.

Tummy Tuck Belt

There is not clinical study verifying the efficacy of the tummy tuck belt. Most likely it is is a marketing concept that should be avoided. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck belt

Hi, thanks for your question. 

I'm guessing this advertisement had a disclaimer at the bottom that reads something like "results not typical." I think you'd be better off getting a tummy tuck if you have extra skin below the belly button. There aren't any great methods to tighten this skin other than actually removing it. 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Hocus pokus

We are going to start a bin for worthless items purchased by patients on late night TV. This falls squarely in this category. I would recommend you save your money and invest in something with a proven track record. Good luck.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

If It Sounds Too Good To Be True...

Thank you for your question. We are always looking for that "magic bullet" which will give us the result we are looking for without any effort. Unfortunately in this case, it doesn't exist. While I have not seen this infomercial, I have never seen any hard evidence of these types of treatment making a real difference.
For a non-surgical procedure that may help you, I recommend Coolsculpt. Of course, a surgical procedure will give you the most dramatic and customized result.

Tummy Tuck Belt

There are a lot of products that make claims but have to proof or statistics to prove the product actually works. Unfortunately, I highly doubt this tummy tuck belt works. There is no non-surgical device that is going to give you the same results as a tummy tuck.

Tummy tuck belt

Thanks for your question. I'm not sure what to make of those remarkable pictures. I do think, however, that there is no "thermal" cure for the fatty and redundant lower abdomen. I'd forget about the cream and spend that money on a consultation with a Board-certified plastic surgeon. Better yet, upload some pics of your abdomen and see what other surgeons may say you might benefit from. When something looks too good to be true, it usually is. Hope this helps. Good luck and fare well. 

Does the Tummy Tuck Belt really work?

Hello and thank you for your question.

The short answer is no. A surgical tummy tuck removed excess skin and tightens the muscles from the breast bone to the pubic bone. There is no non-surgical option that will do these things. If it sounds too good to be true...