Can the Tummy Tuck Belt Really Work?

I've been considering lipo, and last night I saw an infomercial last night for the Tummy Tuck Belt -- it's a system that involves putting on a "thermal accelerator" cream, followed by 10 minutes in what looks like a tummy compression garment (the first 2 min are spent doing to standing ab crunches).

The websites claims "Typical results are 0.5" first week and 1" in 30 days without lifestyle change." Is it possible for something like this to actually work? The pictures are really impressive.

Can the tummy tuck belt really work?

Although this may sound like a great way to shed the extra fat without breaking the bank, it is very unlikely that the tummy tuck belt can yield noticeable results let alone results similar to an actual tummy tuck surgical procedure. If you are interested in non surgical procedures, I encourage you to research Coolscultping. Cold suctions are placed on several areas of the tummy to freeze fat cells. It is recommended to target specific areas in two office visits to achieve the best rests. Good luck in your search.

Tummy tuck belt doesn't have scientific proof

I’ve seen this contraption at stores that sell “made for tv” products. Yes, the before and after photos look convincing but from a medical standpoint, I highly doubt that the results they claim to achieve can be in any way honest. You may improve your muscle definition and posture from the ab work, but that’s not because of the belt - it’s because you're exercising. There is no compelling explanation on how, scientifically, this device works.

Loose skin, excess fat and separated ab muscles (diastasis recti) can’t be as dramatically corrected with a gimmick. In fact, if you have had diastasis recti for a while, a compression garment or this belt won’t help much to fix it. Neither will it do anything for the loose skin and stubborn excess fat. Of course, you’re welcome to try it and let me know if it works!

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is

Unfortunately, I would anticipate that this device falls under the old adage of "if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is."  It is difficult to think that this device would be able to correct the anatomy of muscles and skin that is addressed with an abdominoplasty.  If you do not have loose skin or rectus diastasis (separation of your abdominal muscles common after pregnancy), but have certain areas of excess fat that you would like to reshape without surgery, you may be a candidate for Coolsculpting.  Coolsculpting is a technology that has been approved by the FDA and can demonstrate impressive results at reducing the volume of fat in problem areas for the right candidate.  Many board certified plastic surgery offices offer both these surgical and and non-surgical options and can help you make a decision on what might be best for you.

Emily A. Williams, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Belt: Magical thinking

I cringe to see consumers being mislead by the multitudes of infomercials with loss and body contouring.  It is simply magical thinking when you consider the amount of excess skin and fat that is removed with a Tummy Tuck, and the muscle fascia that is tightened during this procedure.  Typically, the Tummy Tuck removes the skin surface area of 1.5 to 2 paper towel pieces.  To expect anything outside of surgery to do this is absurd.

The magical thinking peddlers like to use before and after pictures to prove their results.  But take a closer look.  The picture you submitted is a classic example.  If you covered the bottom of both pictures with a piece paper at the level of the navel, the upper pictures look the same.  Now cover the upper portion of the picture at the level of the navel.  Notice how in the after picture, the pants are higher at the level of the navel.. you got it!  The pants are covering the overhang seen in the before pictures. You can even see the bulge of this tissue in the pants in the after picture.

This kind of marketing is seen with skin care and laser systems as well.  Here, size of the image and lighting of the before and after pictures is key.  As a photographer, I can make a patient look 10 years younger by shooting the before with the flash hitting the skin straight on and the after with light shot from above.  The above flash or lighting casts shadows of the wrinkles while front on flash washes them out.  Physicains who own some of these laser systems want to believe the actually work.  They will send their before and afters to the laser company not realizing (or refusing to realize) that it's the lighting that is giving the result.  The laser company then uses these photos for their marketing.

Now to be completely fair, compressing any tissue might reduce it's bulk (especially if measure tight after a tightening session!).  But even if it were true, 1" in 40 plus inches is not a significant reduction.  Words can mislead just like pictures. Buyer beware!

All my best!

Robert N. Severinac, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck belt

I would not expect this product to produce any significant or long-lasting results.  Pictures can be very deceptive.

Samir S. Rao, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

This product is absurd.

Hi MakenzieR, You know the old adage: If it sounds too easy, too good to be true, IT IS!!!! Ask yourself this: If all you had to do was rub some cream on your skin to get result, why would people exercise or get surgery? 

Wearing compression garments and using creams to reduce the size of your abdomen and tighten skin is futile. Surgeries like tummy tucks literally remove excess skin from your body and tighten the muscle wall inside your body. That is how a permanent, dramatic results are achieved. 

It is very frustrating that companies prey on the public advertising these false products. Patients who are afraid or can't afford surgery are their main targets. MLM companies have been selling wraps for years. Then there has been a resurgence lately of reality "stars" and other trendsetters on social media flat out lying about using creams to enhance their breasts and buttocks and swearing by wearing waist trainers to slim their midsection. When they have clearly had some sort of surgery. 

Results like you see in the photos above are completely ludicrous and impossible. This all is motivated by quick money. Please do not waste your time or possibly put your health at risk. If you truly wish to have a tummy tuck, save your money, do your research and do it right by seeing a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

•  Tweet

William Aiello, MD

Tummy tuck belt

If you buy this device you will likely be disappointed. There are no reputable medical studies on this device and I fail to see from a medical, physiological, and anatomical standpoint how a cream and compression band could possibly penetrate 1 inch down into your fat and then dissolve it. I recommend sticking with surgical or non surgical fat reduction techniques that have been medically tested in real studies and proven to work. Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon can help guide you in the treatment that is best for you. Good luck!

Tyler Angelos, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Belt

There is not clinical study verifying the efficacy of the tummy tuck belt. Most likely it is is a marketing concept that should be avoided. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck belt

Hi, thanks for your question. 

I'm guessing this advertisement had a disclaimer at the bottom that reads something like "results not typical." I think you'd be better off getting a tummy tuck if you have extra skin below the belly button. There aren't any great methods to tighten this skin other than actually removing it. 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Ross Blagg, MD
Austin Physician

Hocus pokus

We are going to start a bin for worthless items purchased by patients on late night TV. This falls squarely in this category. I would recommend you save your money and invest in something with a proven track record. Good luck.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon