What is the Best Way to Lengthen a Front Tooth?

Years ago, I chipped one of my two front teeth. The one tooth was filed down to match the length of the chipped tooth. Now I am looking at two shorter teeth and they are not even in length. It makes my smile look crooked. What is the best way to fix this?

Doctor Answers 3

Best Way to Lengthen a Front Tooth?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It's difficult to answer without seeing the relative positions of the teeth and gums in your case. You could need surgical crown lengthening. Bonding could be the least expensive, least invasive (meaning less tooth structure removed), and quickest way to get the results you want. Composite bonding isn't quite as durable as porcelain, so it will probably need to be redone eventually, but you may get the result you want with less expense. If you don't like the bonding, you can always do porcelain veneers or crowns later.

Cleveland Dentist

Lengthen teeth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are several ways to lengthen teeth. Bonding, veneers, and crowns can be used depending on the length needed and the condition of the teeth. If this was years ago the teeth may have erupted down and the incisal edge (top of the teeth) are in the correct position and the gum is too far down. If that is the case usually crown lengthening can be done by moving the gums up and at the same time making them even. You need the advise of a cosmetic dentist to decide what is best for you.

Thomas R. Froning, DDS
Littleton Dentist

Lengthening front teeth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A photo would be helpful but based on your description, you may be a good candidate for porcelain laminate veneers.  Find an experienced cosmetic dentist who can evaluate not only your teeth but also your gums to check for symmetry of gumline which can also impact the length of teeth.  Good luck!

Michael Firouzian, DDS
Columbus Dentist

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.