Can I Have the Denist File Down my Front Teeth to Blend a Tiny Chipped Tooth (Half Rice Size)? (photo)

For now, I'd prefer filing down my front teeth if it makes 50% better. Can dentist slighlt file down about 1-2 mm to make it look better ? Right now, i have no sensitivity from chipped teeth. 

Doctor Answers 5

Filing teeth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Filing of teeth is an interesting question.  The short answer is that they can be reshaped by a dentist to improve appearance.  I have found in my near 40 years as a dentist that the edges of teeth are where they are because that is where nature wants them, and if a dentist reshapes the edge, over time the teeth will shift to recreate the discrepancy.  So the process may need repeating every ten years.

Chicago Dentist


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I think shortening and recontouring your incisors, also called enamelplasty ( shaping the enamel ), is a good idea in your case. This should provide much improvement for very little time and expense.

Paul D. Kantor, DDS
Cleveland Dentist

File down a chipped tooth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Most of the time, dentists are there to preserve enamel and not file down teeth, but in this case, I think it would be the appropriate treatment. Your front central incisors are much longer than the other teeth. By shortening and contouring these two teeth, you will have a very nice smile with even teeth and no chip!

Robert Fields, DDS
Van Nuys Dentist

You might also like...

Contour Your chipped teeth.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

you can easily fixed the uneven appearance by microdiscing chipped tooth and the adjacent tooth.

Richard Sprague, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist

File Down Chipped Front Tooth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From the picture provided, with your longer central incisors, it should work fine to shorten and smooth both teeth for a more esthetic result. (enamelplasty)

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Dentist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.