Can I Have the Denist File Down my Front Teeth to Blend a Tiny Chipped Tooth (Half Rice Size)? (photo)

For now, I'd prefer filing down my front teeth if it makes 50% better. Can dentist slighlt file down about 1-2 mm to make it look better ? Right now, i have no sensitivity from chipped teeth. 

Filing teeth

Filing of teeth is an interesting question.  The short answer is that they can be reshaped by a dentist to improve appearance.  I have found in my near 40 years as a dentist that the edges of teeth are where they are because that is where nature wants them, and if a dentist reshapes the edge, over time the teeth will shift to recreate the discrepancy.  So the process may need repeating every ten years.

Chicago Dentist

Filing teeth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Chicago Dentist

Enamelplasty

I think shortening and recontouring your incisors, also called enamelplasty ( shaping the enamel ), is a good idea in your case. This should provide much improvement for very little time and expense.

Paul D. Kantor, DDS
Cleveland Dentist

Enamelplasty

Paul D. Kantor, DDS
Cleveland Dentist

File down a chipped tooth

Most of the time, dentists are there to preserve enamel and not file down teeth, but in this case, I think it would be the appropriate treatment. Your front central incisors are much longer than the other teeth. By shortening and contouring these two teeth, you will have a very nice smile with even teeth and no chip!

Robert Fields, DDS
Van Nuys Dentist

File down a chipped tooth

Robert Fields, DDS
Van Nuys Dentist

Contour Your chipped teeth.

you can easily fixed the uneven appearance by microdiscing chipped tooth and the adjacent tooth.

Contour Your chipped teeth.

File Down Chipped Front Tooth

From the picture provided, with your longer central incisors, it should work fine to shorten and smooth both teeth for a more esthetic result. (enamelplasty)

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Dentist

File Down Chipped Front Tooth

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Dentist