Is the dimpling on my inner right thigh normal? (photo)

I am 22 years old and had a tummy tuck (w/out tightening of muscles) and lipo. on inner & outer thighs. I am concerned about the dimpling of my inner right thigh. I try to massage the area when I can, wear spandex during the day to have compression, and wear a compression garment at night. Is this dimpling normal? If it is how long will it take fore me to see the final results? Will other procedures need to be done in the future to smooth the skin out?

Inner thigh treatment is often a balance between liposuction and skin excision

I do not have the benefit of seeing your preop photos, but can imagine that a fair amount of liposuction was done. The contour may be less now, but because of excess skin, the dimples and skin folds are prominent. This can be corrected by medial thigh lift. I always make this point a prominent part of the preop discussion, since inner thigh treatment is often a balance between liposuction and skin excision, and can affect the cost of the operation.

Dimple post lipo

This can happen .I do not know how far along you are post op but looking at your photos maybe a little more lipo or mini thigh lift would help.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

After the process

In my opinion, Liposuction was part of the procedures to help your inner thighs but according to your picture, it seems to me that an inner thigh lift was needed in order to remove the excess skin from that area and give you a smoother look. Liposuction only removes the fat cells but the excess skin is un touched. My suggestion is to consider this procedure in the future.

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Dimpling after inner thigh liposuction

The photo you show suggests the need for a thigh lift, but only if your surgery was performed months(not weeks ago). If so garments and compression wont do the job. Was the surgeon who did your liposuction board certified by the American board of plastic surgeon, or not? Did he or she offer a thigh lift with the liposuction, or suggest it afterwards? If the surgeon is credentialed to perform liposuction at a local hospital (not just in an out patient setting) then you are on good hands. Go back to her or him and you will get better answers than we can offer on line. Medial thigh lifts are associated with scars, and scars (though often needed) are not always desirable. If your surgeon is not board certified (in the specialty of plastic surgery) you may want to consult one who is.

Ayman Hakki, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

Is the dimpling on my inner right thigh normal?

I think a medial thigh lift will make the greatest improvement.

I perform dozens of thigh lifts a year. An extended medial thigh lift may be the procedure for you. An exam would be necessary to confirm. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of body contouring procedures each year. Look at website before and after photos and decide which surgeon can give the results you desire.

Liposuction in your case would contribute to laxity of skin in the inner thighs. You may need a thigh lifting operation...

Dimpling inner thigh

You have some skin excess of the inner thighs that probably will not resolve unless a thigh lift is done. In your case, we typically perform an inner thigh lift using a groin crease incision.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Dimpling or creases on your thighs occur from a combination of factors.

It would be essential to assess your pre-op photos to understand how your anatomy and your tissues contribute to what you are seeing. Surgical technique is very important but from your photos it would appear that you have significant skin and soft tissue laxity of the inner thighs. This is not a feature of any one particular type of cannula used during your procedure. Discuss options and expectations with your Plastic Surgeon. Consider another opinion if you need more reassurance. Although complete healing requires more time, it is reasonable to ask questions at this point as your results are not going to substantially improve from here.

Liposuction of areas of poor tone will not be made significantly tighter when larger amounts of fat is also being removed. In some cases, liposuction can nicely improve proportions and shape if you are comfortable with the same or worsened laxity. Thigh lifting procedures are indicated when you desire tighter looking contours.

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

The solution to dimpling seen on inner thighs after liposuction

Dimpling like that seen on the inner thigh pictures you show is due to liposuction with large cannulas. See the video and link below for a discussion on cannula types

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Contour irregularity after thigh Lipo

Technically speaking it takes a full 6 months after Liposuction to say the result is final. It appears that you have some loose skin in the inner thigh area which may actually get worse as the swelling subsides. It is always hard to tell from a photograph. I would encourage you to continue to massage the area and wear compression as you are doing now. If the indentation or laxity is still there at 6 months you may need some revision art surgery or an inner thigh lift.