350cc Mentor silicone teardrop breast implants on tubular breasts (Photo)

Hi there, I am currently 4 days post opp and I am very upset with my results. I understand that there is still a lot of swelling going on at the top of my chest but it feels as thoogh there is no shape at the bottom or anything to fill out the actual boob just yet- looks almost square like. I started as a very small A cup and tight skin also. I am just wanting to know if teardrop implants improve the appearance of the natural tubular breasts and will my boobs fill out a lot more ?

350cc Mentor silicone teardrop breast implants on tubular breasts

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery. Remember that your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to specific assessment, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.  

Remember also that patients with constricted/tuberous breasts have relatively tight lower breast skin/tissues and that their breast implants may take a longer period of time to "settle" into the relatively tight tissues of the lower breast poles. In other words, patients undergoing this type of surgery should be aware of the need for patience and time before the lower breast poles "round out".  Also, generally speaking, as the breast implants "settle" into their positions, the nipple/areola complexes seem higher on each breast mound ("perkier"). 

Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting. Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. 

There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.  Understandably, patients often experience significant emotional "ups and downs" around the time of surgery.

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photos. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.