Do I have tuberous breast deformity? (Photo)

Very confused. I went to my GP to ask if I had Tuberous Breasts and if she could refer me to a Plastic Surgeon. I was pretty certain that I have this condition after I have done so much research into it, but my GP explained to me that Tuberous Breast are when the Breast Tissue is lumpy. She laid me on the bed and felt around and said that I did not have Tuberous Breast. As far as I know, that is not what Tuberous Breast Deformity is. Now I'm even more confused. Can anyone help with my issue?

Doctor Answers 13


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You are absolutely correct - you have a classical and more severe tuberous breast deformity and this requires a more complex approach so you will need to see a surgeon in Perth who has experience in correct not this deformity

Tuberous Breast Deformity

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photos which show a constricted base, wide areoles with apparent herniated breast tissue and widely spaced breasts, you do have tuberous breasts.  This deformity exists on a spectrum of mild to severe.  Treatment is surgical and includes either an implant placement with mastopexy and release of the constricting tissue or a two stage procedure for severe cases where a tissue expander is initially placed followed by implant placement and mastopexy.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

Tuberous Breast

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Rosie, you definitely have tuberous breast deformity. Lumpiness has nothing to do with this diagnosis.

You would do best having a combined breast enlargement and lift, and there is Medicare provision for this, so make sure your surgeon uses this. It will reduce your expenses considerably, especially if you have health insurance. Regards, Dr Steve Merten, Sydney

Do I have tuberous breast deformity?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question and images. In this circumstance your GP is incorrect and you do have tuberous breast deformity. You should seek a consultation with a Specialist Plastic Surgeon with an interest in breast surgery. 

Good luck!


Dr Guy Watts  

Tuberous breast deformity

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You are absolutely correct, you have tubular breast deformity. Please consult with a plastic surgeon in your area as they will be able to walk you through the surgery to get this corrected. Many times an implant along with a lift is used to improve the shape and symmetry of your breasts. Fat transfer can also be used along with an implant to improve the appearance of the cleavage and upper chest contours. 

Jennifer Geoghegan, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Tuberous breasts

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Those look rather tuberous to me. I think you should get a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to talk about your options. You can get a nice result in cases like yours. There is a good chance that you would require further procedures in coming (many) years.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

Tuberous breast

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You are correct you do have tuberous breast. They can be corrected with implants and a nipple reduction type lift. I would suggest discussing your options with a plastic surgeon near you.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 334 reviews

Diagnosing tuberous breast

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You absolutely have tuberous breasts.  Your GP is simply unfamiliar with the condition, which is not uncommon.  This is a diagnosis specific to plastic surgeons.  I'd recommend you going to see a PS first, who can then send you to see a GP with whom they work closely with who can help you.  

Cain R. Linville, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I appreciate your question.

From your photos, you appear to have characteristics of tuberous/constricted breasts.

Constricted or tubular breasts tend to be too narrow with a breast crease that is too high. Tight ring-like bands of tissue around the areolae and nipples may create the appearance of protruding or puffy areolae. A higher than normal breast crease may make your nipples appear to be too low or down pointing. Constricted breast features can be very mild or severe. In fact, mild variations are relatively common. To summarize, the features can include:

  •          Inframammary fold (breast crease) too high
  •          Inframammary fold misshapen
  •          Breasts too narrow (disproportionately narrow base width)
  •          Insufficient breast skin
  •          Constricted or tubular shape, resulting from tight bands of tissue within breasts
  •          Protruding or bulging appearance of areolae (pigmented area around nipples)

Improvement is possible and generally includes a breast augmentation, sometimes combined with a lift (mastopexy). The lift is usually limited to an incision around the areolae. During the procedure, I release the tight, constricting bands from the inside, allowing the skin to expand properly. I also lower the inframammary fold to a more ideal position and improve its shape. Breast implants help create the right amount of volume and improve breast contours, resulting in a more rounded or tear drop shape.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Best of luck!

Dr. Schwartz

Board Certified Plastic Surgeon



Do I have tuberous breast deformity?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question and pictures.
Yes, I think your breasts do demonstrate some of the qualities seen with tuberous (constricted) breasts; there is a wide range when it comes to tuberous/constricted breast presentation.

Generally speaking, some of the characteristics seen with tuberous breasts include a very narrow base, short distance from areola to inframammary fold, tight (constricted) lower pole of the breasts, relatively wide space between the breasts, "puffy” areola and some degree of ptosis (drooping). 

Generally, correction of tuberous breast anomalies involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola.
In the most severe cases of tuberous breast, a more complete breast lift may also be necessary. In many cases however, a lift is not necessary. The patient should be aware that the final result will take months to see and that they will need to be patient and that revisionary surgery is more likely than in patients who do not present with tuberous (constricted) breasts.

In your case, if the appearance/shape/size of the breasts are a concern, you may be an excellent candidate for corrective surgery.
When you are ready, please make sure you consult with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who have significant (demonstrable) experience with this type of surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to corrective surgery for patients with tuberous/constricted breasts) helps. Best wishes.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.