Will a tuberous breast correction surgery affect my ability to breastfeed?

I am 19 years old and I believe i have tuberous breasts. I have been wanting to see a doctor however a consultation is expensive and pointless at the moment considering I cant afford a surgery any time soon. I plan to save up to have surgery but I am concerned that I will be unable to breastfeed later on when I decide to have children. Can the surgery prevent breastfeeding? And will pregnancy ruin the results?

Tuberous Breast Correction

Thank you for your question.  A Tuberous breast correction could affect nipple function as incisions all the way around the areolas are typically involved. Your Plastic Surgeon would discuss the risks and considerations with you to help you make an informed choice. For any women, childbearing and breastfeeding often affects the breasts- size and shape, so it is possible you will want to consider another procedure down the road after having children but not necessarily. Booking a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, even if you aren't quite ready to proceed yet would not be a waste in my opinion. You could ask important questions and be sure that they are answered by someone who has examined you and can tell you exactly what you are dealing with. Many Clinics offer financing options as well if that is something you are interested in.

All the best 

All the best 

Breast feeding after tuberous breast surgery

Hi

There are different ways of doing this surgery, but generally there should not be a major risk to later breast feeding, Also, if you live in Sydney there may be a possibility of having this surgery done in a public hospital to reduce costs. Regards, Dr Steve Merten, Sydney, Australia

Tuberous breast surgery

It depends on the extent of the problem and severity of the tuberous deformity .Pregnancy will not reck a result but of course can cause some deterioration sometimes . If the nipple is left attached to some breast tissue the breast feeding can be possible

Will a tuberous breast correction surgery affect my ability to breastfeed

In most tuberous breast deformities the breast tissue itself is cut into to allow the tissue to splay out into a wider dimension. That cutting will injure some of the breast ducts and breast feeding can certainly be affected, at least to some degree.

Julio Garcia, MD

Thank you for your question. This is something that you will want to discuss with your plastic surgeon, as it all depends on which procedure you are having done. With that being said, there are options that will not affect your ability to breast feed. I would recommend an in-person examination with your plastic surgeon to determine the best option for your needs and concerns. Best of luck to you!

Correction of Tuberous Breasts Shoult Not Prevent Breastfeeding.

We know from our experience with breast reduction that breast surgery will not prevent a women from being able to breast feed, but it has the potential to reduce the available breast milk during breast feeding.  This sometimes requires mothers to supplement with formula while still allowing immunological benefit from breast feeding.  Tuberous breast deformity and breast reduction both require cutting some of the ducts needed for breast feeding and should have similar effect.  Like other responses, there are no guarantees, only assumptions based on current experience.  Good luck.

Christopher Newman, DO
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Tuberous breast correction along with breast augmentation should not affect your ability to breastfeed. Nobody can give you any guarantees as to what pregnancy will do as to an augmentation.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation

Most women can still breastfeed after augmentation. Pregnancy, however, may affect the size and shape of your breasts. You could consider waiting until you have had all the children you want.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Correction of a constricted or tuberous breast is not eliminate the ability to breast-feed.

Correction of a constricted breast involves release the base of the breast referred to as a mastotomy. Often times a breast implant is placed in a sub glandular position concurrently. For a conical areola a donut mastopexy can be of benefit. None of these procedures will affect the ability to breast-feed.