Veneers vs Bonding?

i currently have a crown on 7 that is a terrible fit. Very obvious & unnatural. The opposite tooth, 10, has a cavity on the side. Also quite a bit of demineralization spots. Had a consult with a new dentist who has steered me towards veneers on front 6. Previous dentist was going to do crowns. Financially veneers would be a strain. Would bringing up a new crown on 7 & bonding on the others be silly? At this point I have found myself depressed over my smile & desperate for some resolution

#Veneers vs #bonding #DrSoftTouch

Hello there,
While composite bonding can be used to improve the appearance of your teeth, it is not a permanent fix. Bonding chips and stains easily and is not as durable as porcelain veneers. I would recommend replacing the crown on #7 and 4-8 veneers across the top. See an experienced cosmetic dentist for a complete evaluation to determine your options.  The best indicator to determine if the dentist is going to give you the results that he or she claims, is by viewing before and after photos of his/her patients that have undergone similar or the same procedures. Veneers will surely have you smiling again! Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100

Veneers vs. bonding

Bonding is a more temporary restoration but can be a cost effective method of quick restoration. It is very conservative but can look terrific. Over time it will discolor but the materials have gotten better over the years. Getting a perfect color match on a single veneer can be challenging while direct bonding is easier to match.

Yocasta Caba, DDS
Dominican Republic Dentist

Smile challenges

great questions, Porcelain crowns or veneers are created by ceramists, bonding is created by the dentist. The results of either depend on the individual skills and training and artistic abilities.
Each option has its plus and downsides.
An accomplished cosmetic dentist can give you photos of their work and go through each option to best help you. An Accredited dentist with the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry is a very good place to start your search.
Good luck

Crowns, Veneers and Bonding: Doing the most on a budget.

You can match a single crown (veneer) or two to you other teeth.  There is a system designed to correct demineralization.  Crowns or veneers can give a great result but 6 is usually a mistake and tend to look unnatural.

The best choice is usually to do 4, 8 or 10 teeth.  Most well trained cosmetic dentists understand that the canine acts as an anterior tooth but has an angle that blends to posteriors.

I would suggest starting with 7& 10 or 7-10 and wait on canines, they can be done later.  Perfect color match most essential on front four.

My lab comes in to my office and custom stains crowns to match my patients teeth.  If doing a single crown it is helpful if your dentist has a high end cosmetic lab theat is local.

Chair, Alliance of TMD Organizations
Diplomat, American Academy of Pain Management
Diplomat, American Board of Dental Sleep Medicine
Regent & Fellow, International College of CranioMandibular Orthopedics
Board Eligible, American Academy of CranioFacial Pain
Dental Section Editor, Sleep & Health JournalMember, American Equilibration Society
Member, Academy of Applied Myofunctional Sciences