I feel stitches poking me inside my skin. Is this normal ? (Tummy tuck)

Hello, I had a full tummy tuck 2 months and half and i started to feel stitches poking me inside my skin. I had a stitch abscess a month ago but now is completely cure. But when i touch my scar i can feel stiches poking my skin. I dont have any open skin or holes in my scar. It is just the feeling of the stich poking me. Is not painful but sometimes it feel uncomfortable when im wearing tight pants. I cant stop touching my scar and feel them. I hope they go away soon.

I feel stitches poking me inside my skin. Is this normal?

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your stitch issues.  Any sutures left beneath your skin surface by your surgeon are dissolvable but may take several months to fully resolve.  I would talk to your surgeon about performing scar massage therapy to help soften any thickened tissue while also helpinging to desensitize your tissues.  Hope this helps.

Stitches poking through the skin after tummy tuck

Thanks for the question.  This is a common finding for most patients, and usually is easily resolved.  If the sutures don't disappear on their own after several months, always contact your Plastic Surgeon.  This should give you comfort and should improve the condition.
Good luck to you.
Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Feeling absorbable sutures

Dissolvable sutures are used in multiple layers under the skin to give strength to the incision closure. It takes 3-6 months for most types of dissolvable sutures to disappear, and during this time, some people do feel "poking" from the ends of the sutures. Even after they are dissolved, some people still feel firm lumps where each suture was because of scar tissue the body creates as it dissolves the sutures. This will usually go away more slowly if it happens (after a year or two). If you have concerns about comfort, see your doctor. Otherwise, just know that this is a normal part of the healing process, and it will not last more than a few months. 

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon