I have heard of Kybella being used to treat the lower leg/ankle area. How much treatments would that area require? Cost?

Kybella is only FDA approved for the submental area

Kybella is not approved to treat the lower leg region. In fact, it is only FDA approved to treat the submental area(under the chin). When I treat the submental region, I always tell my patients that it will take at least 2-3 treatments before they start appreciating any noticeable results. Be cautious about doing this treatment in off label areas as it has not been studied and you are at risk for increased complications. 

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella and off-label use

Thank you for your question. Kybella is FDA approved for the submental region.   However, just like other devices, off label use is going to be at the physicians discretion. Using it off label, does require a deep understanding of the underlying anatomy to ensure that the target tissue is isolated from critical structures.  You will find that the treatment indications with FDA will start to broaden over the next few years as more areas are studied such as the knees, love handles, anterior axilla, and possibly ankles.  I would make sure you consider any off-label use with an experienced and knowledgeable plastic surgeon.

Kybella Off Label

I would definitely not recommend that you consult a physician who does Kybella "off-label" as this procedure is not FDA approved and the side effects are not yet known.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella (Belkyra) outside of the neck

Good morning.

Kybella (Belkyra) is a novel treatment approved for reduction of sub mental fullness (the double chin).

Its mechanism of action suggests it may be useful in other areas of the body that have isolated pockets of fat. These areas would be considered off label uses. At present there is no data on the safety and efficacy of this therapy in regions outside of the chin/neck.

Specifically regarding the ankle, I would suggest this is not a great area to introduce an unproven treatment outside of a clinical trial.

This region, though limited in scope is still significantly larger than the area under the chin - so cost would become a factor quickly. Secondly and most importantly there are significant blood vessels and nerves in the region that may be vulnerable if they pass through the treatment area.

There are sure to be more and more areas that are proven to be safe and effective in the future. For now I would suggest holding off and waiting for more rigorous scientific proofs to be published.

Kind regards.

Dr Nodwell

Trefor Nodwell, MD
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon