Kybella for under-eye bags

Hi, Kybella is only approved for under-chin fat, but I was wondering is there any scientific or technical reason as to why it can't be used some time in the future to melt fat bags under-eyes? Thanks.

Kybella under the eyes

Thank you for your question. Kybella is FDA approved for the submental region. However, just like other devices, off label use is going to be at the physicians discretion. Using it off label, does require a deep understanding of the underlying anatomy to ensure that the target tissue is isolated from critical structures. You will find that the treatment indications with FDA will start to broaden over the next few years as more areas are studied such as the knees, love handles, anterior axilla, and possibly ankles. The makers of Kybella is developing a separate topical product that is being studied for under eye fat.  This may prove to be a safer approach given the critical structures under the eye.
I would make sure you consider any off-label use with an experienced and knowledgeable plastic surgeon.

Kybella treatments

Kybella is currently ONLY FDA approved to treat submental fat (double chin). I absolutely do not recommend using this product under the eyes. The under eye is a very delicate area and should not be treated with Kybella. There are many other surgical and non-surgical treatments that are safe and effective that you should consider. Please consult in person with a board certified plastic surgeon who has expertise in anti-aging treatments for the eyes. Good luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Kybella not approved for injection to under eye bags

Kybella is not approved to treat the under eye bags. In fact, it is only FDA approved to treat the submental area(under the chin). When I treat the submental region, I always tell my patients that it will take at least 2-3 treatments before they start appreciating any noticeable results. Be cautious about doing this treatment in off label areas as it has not been studied and you are at risk for increased complications. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella for bags under the eyes?

That is a very interesting question but I would not recommend it there.  Kybella has only been approved for the submental fal, and yes it can be used off-label in other areas of fat.  But the eyelid anatomy is delicate- not only is this an area rich in nerves and blood vessels that may increase the risks, but any tightening of the orbital septum ( the innermost layer of the eyelid) could cause a severe retraction of the lower eyelid (ectropion) that could be difficult to fix.  So as an intellectual question it is interesting, but as a practical matter the risks would outweigh the potential benefits.  There are many other well developed ways to treat this area with and without surgery. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Jonathan Hall, MD

Kybella and Under Eyes

I would definitely NOT recommend Kybella for the under eye area. It is not FDA approved or studied in this delicate under eye area.  Fillers such as Belotero or Botox for the crow's feet are highly effective. Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green