Is it normal to still have hardness and lumps?

I visited my doctor 2 weeks before my second injection because I have hardness and lumps. She said it was normal and to massage the area. I have been doing so constantly, and have seen a little bit of a reduction. As far as my appearance, I feel like I look worse than i did before.

Kybella nodules

It is difficult to assess without looking at picture but the firmness you feel is quite common and part of the inflammatory process that takes place after you receive your injection.  This will resolve but does take some time.  I have patients return every 8 weeks for their injections to give them optimal time to heal.  I have found that this can also decrease the number of treatments needed since results continue to be gained just merely with time.  Also, keep in mind that swelling can be persistent and occasionally requires 3-4 weeks to resolve.

Payman Kosari, MD, FAAD
Dermatology, Laser and Vein Specialists
Charlotte, NC

*Please remember to +1 answers you like to keep them at the top
*Also, "Follow" physicians you like to receive email updates as they post on RealSelf

Charlotte Dermatologic Surgeon

Lumps following Kybella

The lumps and bumps that you are experiencing following your Kybella treatment are totally normal. It's actually the broken down fat cells, combining together as they wait for you body to eliminate them. Since every individual does so at his or her own rate, it may just be taking your body longer than the norm. Don't worry. Things will improve. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Firmness after Kybella

The firmness in that area that is causing a lump is completely normal. It is the body breaking down and cleaning up the fat cells that have been destroyed. The inflammatory process will soften in the coming weeks.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella and lumps

Thank you for your question and for sharing your concerns. Kybella can definitely result in some lumpiness in the immediate weeks after the treatment. These typically resolve by around the six week mark, and it is one of the reasons why I have prolonged treatment interval to a minimum of six weeks between treatments.  I would recommend that you visit with an experienced plastic surgeon or dermatologist who can help develop and manage your treatment plan alongside with you.

Kybella

Thank you for your question in regards to Kybella. Yes, hard lumps and bumps are common after Kybella injections. To be sure what is best, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Kybella -- FDA approved for Submental Fat, Non Surgical Option But Still New

Kybella swelling can last 2-4 weeks. I suggest seeing an expert for treatment and consider venus legacy post treatment to speed up the healing process.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Kybella and Lumps

Kybella can often produce hard lumps to the area that can persist for several weeks after the injection. It just takes time to go away.  I often combine Thermage with Kybella to tighten the neck/jowls and have the best results for the submental area.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella lumps.

Thank you for your question. Lumps or hardness after Kybella is normal. It can last 3-4 weeks. If it persists for longer than that, please schedule a follow up appointment with your physician so that they may review the area.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Lumps with kybella

It is normal to have induration (firmness) and bumps on the neck post kybella for 2-4 weeks. I usually recommend icing the area for the first week, and eventually those areas will subside. Make sure you are seeing a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon- all the best, Anita Gill MD

Anita Arora Gill, MD
The Woodlands Dermatologic Surgeon

Hello Allieg2086,

It is normal to have lumps following Kybella.  In my patients I have not seen them persist beyond about 4 weeks after treatment.  Although you can feel them, they are not visible.  I like to space my treatments out at 6 week intervals as opposed to 4 weeks, so I'm not sure what your time frame is when you said 2 weeks before the next treatment.  

Without seeing before and after it is hard to assess the result.  I have seen excellent results in patients who are good candidates, but patient selection is very important for Kybella treatment.

I'd recommend you follow up with your injector for an in person evaluation.  Kybella does take at least 2 and sometimes up to 4 treatments to get the final result.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon