Is Tumescent liposuction lymph sparing?

I'm 22 and have stage 1 lipedema, where the body stores abnormal exercise resistant fat. I'm going to get liposuction for it and have read that if you have lipedema the liposuction has to be lymph sparing. I know WAL, vaser, pal are considered lymph sparing but what I really need to know is if tumescent liposuction with traditional syringe/canula Lipo is considered lymph sparing also? Does using tumescent in itself make it as lymph sparing? Even as much as something like Wal Lipo? Thank you

Is Tumescent liposuction lymph sparing?

Thank you for your question.  As lipedema becomes more readily recognized as a distinct fat cell issue, and patients no longer have to reiterate "no, lipedema, not lymphedema" liposuction as a treatment will only grow in prevalence.  You will find various answers to your question on this website, but in general, traditional tumescent liposuction can be lymph sparing, by avoiding the major lymphatic basins in the body, and using a delicate technique.  Traditional tumescent liposuction uses tapered cannulas that help push arteries, veins, and lymphatics away from the area being suctioned.  I hope this helps.

Liposuction is lymph sparing

All tumescent liposuction techniques are lymph sparing,  it also spares the blood vessels and the nerves.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and lymphatics

Pure tumescent liposuction (developed by Dr. Jeff Klein) is the procedure that spares lymphatic tissues the most. I recommend that you seek a consultation and an assessment from a doctor experienced with all kinds of liposuction prior to proceeding with any procedures.
I hope that helps and best regards, Dr. Sapijaszko.

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Tumescent liposuction

Of all of the techniques, the least damage is caused to the lymphatics by the tumescent liposuction procedure.