Is there any evidence that MS patients have antibodies that reject Botox & other cosmetic treatments?

While there is no evidence of MS patients having antibodies that reject Botox

While there is no evidence of MS patients having antibodies that reject Botox, MS is a disease that affects the nerves and muscles, so it is best to have any Botox treatment cleared with your neurologist before having it as a cosmetic treatment. Botox affects the muscles in the face so it’s better to be safe. Other types of cosmetic procedures such as dermal fillers or laser resurfacing should be fine, as these treatments do not affect the nerves or muscles. 

San Diego Dermatologist

MS and Botox

When Botox originally came out there was some theoretical concern that it might have adverse effects in Multiple sclerosis patients.  In the current day, multiple sclerosis patients are safely receiving Botox treatments for spasticty issues, in much higher doses than we use for cosmetic treatments.

No, to the best of my knowledge, there is no evidence that MS patients have antibodies that cause them to reject Botox or other cosmetic treatments.  

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon

MS patients don't get Botox in my office

Having MS means that your are subject to muscle weakness. Getting Botox might make things worse with MS so I don't give it to any MS patients. Filler would be fine in MS patients. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox and MS

There is no evidence that antibodies in MS act against Botox; however, as MS is characterized by muscle issues it is best to get clearance from your neurologist before having any cosmetic procedures.

Sejal Shah, MD

MS and Botox

Although MS is an autoimmune disease the problem is activity against the lining of the nerves.  there is no evidence that there are antibodies against Botox but MS patients do have muscle issues and this must be addressed if Botox is being considered.  it is probably best not to attempt it

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Cosmetic Botox in MS patients

In my practice, diagnosis of MS is an absolute contraindication to use of Botox for cosmetic purposes unless the patient's neurologist clears them for the treatment.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Cosmetic Procedures in patients with MS - NYC

I have treated many patients with MS and there is no contraindication in having these cometic procedures.  Please always check with your treating neurologist for clearance before having these procedures.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox is used in MS

Botox is used in multiple sclerosis to treat muscular spasms as a result of the disease.
Large muscle spasms need large doses.
Botox can be used safely for cosmetic reasons also.

Botox in multiple sclerosis

I am not aware of such studies for MS and Botox or 'other cosmetic procedure'. We do inject Botox Cosmetic in our patients with MS. Studies have shown that Cosmetic Botox and facial rejuvenation procedures reduce objective measures of depression in patients with chronic disease. 

Dr Karamanoukian
RealSelf100 Member