Swelling and Numbness After Juvederm Lip Injection?

Is it normal to have a small amount of swelling and numbness the day after Juvederm lip injections?

This sounds normal

Swelling after injection with Juvederm or any other injectable product, especially in the lips, is very normal the day after the procedure. This should resolve over the next few days, and simple measures like applying ice will help.

The numbness is due either to the simple presence of swelling of the lips or swelling around the nerves that provide sensation to the lips, both of which will resolve with time.

Juvederm lip swelling

Thank you for your question. It is very common for the lips to look over corrected or fake the next day. I often tell my patients that this is the "oh my gosh" day. This is due to all the swelling that ensues. It may last a few days with every day showing a decrease in swelling. The more you ice the first day or two, the less swelling you will have. I would wait a few days to a week and then return to your injector if you still have concerns after that. If you like the look of the lips at some point during the swelling reduction, then take a picture. This way you know what volume you like in the lips for the future.

Swelling and numbness after injection

Yes, this is normal. Swelling, accompanied by a bit of numbness, is common, as is redness and possibly bruising during the first few days following the injection. Most of this settles down within 3 days. Occasionally, the swelling can last up to one week or two.

Juvederm lip injections

It is pretty common to have some swelling of the lip after injection. It is a bit unusual to have numbness but this shoudl improve when the swelling goes down.

After Juvederm injection swelling is okay, numbness is not

Juvederm is an excellent hyaluronic acid based injectable that can be used effectively for facial contouring.

If you are experiencing numbness after a Juvederm injection, you should return to your doctor and let them know of your concerns. It is possible that during the injection a nerve in your chin or lower lip may have been stretched or bruised. Your doctor will want to assess you and help determine the cause of your numbness. If the nerve has only been bruised or stretched, you should expect a return of your sensation in approximately 2 months

Juvederm swelling is normal, numbness might be normal

Swelling after Juvederm can last 5-7 days. Decreased sensation though not complete anesthesia (absence of sensation) can occur while swelling is still present. Both swelling and numbness should gradually resolve over the next few days.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Numbness and swelling after Juvederm in Lips

Swelling of the lips after Juvederm is normal. Numbness is less common, but is probably related to the swelling, bruising and multiple injections causing a temporary neuropraxia. This should resolve over a period of days. 

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Numbness After Juvederm Injections in the Lips

Hi Baby p,

Swelling is normal after Juvederm injections in the lips. It usually lasts 1-2 days. Numbness is unusual, and may be a side effect of the "nerve block" if you received one. If the numbness continues contact your injecting physician.

Good luck, be well, and send my regards to the rest of the "P" family.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon