Is Juvederm Safe?

I want to get Juvederm injections for the laugh lines around my mouth. Is Juvederm safe? What should I know about the safety of Juvederm?

Juvederm is a safe product

Juvederm is an FDA-approved hyaluronic acid that has a proven track record of safety. I've been using Juvederm successfully in my private practice for a few years, and my patients are very satisfied with their results. I suggest you set a consultation appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to talk about your options and concerns. Your physician should be well versed in the benefits AND potential complications associated with Juvederm. Best of luck!

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm is safe

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid filler. Hyaluronic acid is a natural component of second layer of your skin, the dermis. It can actually hold 1000x it's own weight in water and is excellent at volumizing the skin. Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm Ultra, and Juvederm Ultra Plus have been used widely and safely for many years.

While skin and allergy reactions rarely occure, the most common complications are pain, brusing, asymmetry, and possible lumpiness or bluish tint if injected too superficially. A rare, but serious complication, is skin necrosis and ulceration due to injection into an arterial vessel. This complication is primarily due to injection technique and the area of injection. The area most prone to this is the area between the eyebrows (glabella area / "11" lines). Great caution must be excersized greatly in this area. Regarding the laugh lines specifically, this area is one of the most commonly injected areas and is widely considered safe to be injected.

While these reactions / complications are uncommon, these are the main issues that you have to consider when getting injected with Juvederm or any other hyaluronic acid filler. Please make sure to consult your physician thoroughly before doing your procedure.

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Juvederm safety

The safety profile of Juvederm is very high, especially for areas like the nasolabial folds (smile lines). It is used very widely. It is on of a class of hyaluronic acid fillers, which are in my opinion the safest of the temporary fillers.

Juvederm occasionally causes swelling or bruising in some patients. Your doctor can give you a complete list of potential complications from this filler. This can usually be avoided by certain techniques. Usually we advise first-time Juvederm patients not to have an important social engagement the night of the injection.

Juvederm is a bit like paint to an artist, so that each doctor administering Juvederm has their own "style".

Brent Moelleken, MD

Juvederm is safe

Juvederm is a sterile, colorless gel made of non-animal stabilized hyaluronic acid. That means that it does not come from an animal so there is little risk of allergy. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring sugar found in all living things, which holds water and plumps up the skin when injected. It is injected into the skin with a small needle and is FDA approved for use in the United States to correct facial lines, wrinkles and folds around the nose and mouth. Injections into any other areas is an “off-label” use of the product. The effects of these fillers are temporary and reversible, requiring repeated injections.

As with any procedure, there are potential side effects. They include bruising, swelling, lumps, tenderness at the site, and discoloration. The bruising and swelling may last up to a week or more. Rarely there may be a longer lasting bump or nodule. Overall, Juvederm has an excellent safety profile. I would use it myself and my patients have been very happy.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm a very safe product

Juvederm, like Restylane, is a dermal filler made of a natural compound called hyaluronic acid (HA). It is a versatile and safe filler, and because the percentage of allergic reactions is so low it does not require a skin test. In the rare event that the results are not what is desired, there is an enzyme that can be injected to dissolve it.

Richard Baxter, MD

Juvederm Is FDA Approved

Juvéderm XC is the only Hyaluronic Acid (HA) filler FDA-approved to last up to one year with optimal treatment, and it was studied with all skin types. The unique manufacturing process uses Hylacross technology to provide a high concentration of cross-linked Hyaluronic Acid.

Is Juvederm Safe?

Juvederm is FDA-approved and has stood the test of time as an effective and safe filler.  Like all hyaluronic acid fillers, it can be dissolved if needed with injections of Hylenex or Vitrase.  The ability to dissolve or reverse the filler is invaluable in the unlikely event of a side effect or a result that you don't like.  The Juvederm family of products consists of Juvederm Ultra, Ultra Plus, and Voluma.  These are the most widely used fillers in the U.S.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Is Very Safe

Juvederm is very safe! Not only is it FDA approved, but it is made from hyaluronic acid, which is naturally occurring in the body. Do keep in mind that it's imperative that you see a board certified dermatologist when you are ready to get the injections. 

Juvederm: Complications are rare, but could occur.

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid dermal filler that’s associated with excellent clinical results and high patient satisfaction rates. Juvederm filler treatments are considered to be some of the safest procedures performed by plastic surgeons.
Although complications from Juvederm injections are rare, they do occasionally occur. The most common complications seen following this procedure include bruising and swelling. These typically resolve with the passage of time. Rarely patients have unsatisfactory aesthetic results which require additional filler or some cases reversal with hyaluronidose. In rare cases, skin loss from pressure necrosis or intravascular injection may occur.
It’s important that patients do their homework. It’s extremely important that they choose a surgeon who is board certified and has experience performing this procedure. When this approach is taken injectable fillers are extremely safe.

Is Juvederm Safe?

Yes, Juvederm like the other fillers marketed here in the US have been proven safe and effective.  Juvederm or Perlane are the fillers of choice for us to fill in the nasolabial folds.  You can always go online and read all the safety information at the Juvederm web site.