Swelling After Ptosis Surgery On Upper Eyelid?

I had ptosis surgery on my upper eyelid about three weeks ago. Most of the swelling has gone down and my eye looks like it did before.I don't see any change at all, the eyelid is still droopy and there is now a crease on my upper eyelid that wasn't there before which seems to be making my eye look droopy. Instead of having a rounded surface on my eyelid there is excess skin almost. When you feel both eyelids,the right one has much more skin to it. Is this just swelling? Or did the surgery fail?

Post-Operative Swelling

Mild edema or swelling after surgery can last for several months, particularly where the eyelid and the eyelashes meet. Sometimes, after an eyelid is raised, excess skin can become more noticeable, and is not so much a sign of a "failed" surgery as it is an indication of a different type of eyelid issue. I would suggest waiting a few months before making that determination.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Normal post-operative swelling

Normal postoperative swelling after ptosis surgery can take up to 2 months to resolve. After 3 weeks, the swelling should gradually get better everyday and not worse. Sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference between a weak muscle and excess skin contributing to the droopiness. Photos will help determine the etiology. Good luck. 

Vikram Durairaj, MD
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis surgery can take up to 3 months to get the final result

Ptosis surgery can take up to 3 months to get the final result.  You really need to wait and allow the eye to heal. Sometimes the trauma from swelling and so forth can cause the muscle not to work as well for the first month or two.  I would wait about 3 months before considering that the surgery didn’t work.  At that time you can more accurately determine whether repeating the surgery would be helpful.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Too early!!!

I would recommend waiting at least 3 months to allow for the postsurgical changes to dissipate. It is not at all unusual to have asymmetric swelling. Actually it is the norm rather than the exception.  At three months you likely will have your final result. Your surgeon may still recommend to wait before attempting revision.

As always, please post photos. It makes our job a lot easier to give recommendations.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

It is impossible to make an assessment based on your description without photos. However, three weeks following eyelid surgery all patients have some degree of swelling. At least part of your concerns is likely related to swelling. To determine how things are shaping up at this point, only your surgeon can give you the best answer. However, your result is far from final at this point and you have more healing to do. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Eyelid Swelling

See your surgeon and wait six months before your make a surgical judgment of success or failure.  The tissues will change with time.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon