Chipmunk Cheeks - botox or buccal lipectomy? (photos)

I would really appreciate your professional advice about my lower part of face. I'm not sure if my Chipmunk cheeks are from fat or the fact I have been teeth grinding while sleeping. My mother has this problem area huge similar to a turtle neck and I can see the beginning of this on myself. My lip corners are starting to go down as well, would botox help? I also don't like my chin, I would like to be pointy, so I am wondering is this possible to accomplish with fillers? Thank you for your time!

Botox or buccal lipectomy for chipmunk cheeks?

Botox or Dysport injection for masseter muscle can reshape  and slim your face, helps with grinding and prevents further bone loss. In my opinion carefully placed fillers will improve both the chin area and your lip corners.

Your information and photos are not adequate enough to suggest if you need skin tightening procedures for further contouring of your face at this time. In my opinion you should find an experienced physician who can evaluate you in person and  guide you in the right direction.

Best of luck

Dr. Shanthala

Boston Physician

Chipmunk cheeks

It is not uncommon to have an enlarged jowl muscles. This muscles are used for chewing food. In many people these muscles can be enlarged. This is very common in korean  and other oriental people.  Botox is used commonly to treat enlarged muscles.

Many people would treat your down turn lips with Botox others may choose to do this with fillers. I think both could be helpful.

As for your chin I think it looks great I'm not sure that I would change anything. In order to see whar results fillers can give you for your chin it would be possible to inject the chin with anesthesia to see the temporary result. You'll be the judge. 

Thomas Kohn, MD
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox or Buccal Lipectomy?

This is a common problem that creates a square jawline and can be treated with Botox for hypertrophy (or growth) of the masseter muscle which lasts 3-4 months, or excision (or removal) through an intraoral (inside the mouth) incision.  This is more predictable, but carries the risk of nerve injury or dry mouth.

Theo Gerstle, MD
Lexington Plastic Surgeon

Botox is not the answer ...for you

Botox is a great product for many things, but it's not the answer for you! The fact that you have fat along your jowl area Botox would not work. It would be more likely treated with facial LIPO- suction or Ultherapy would be a better choice. Buccal  fat is located much higher up and if you were grinding your teeth the swelling that you would have would he higher up between your jawline  and your ear.  Your chin could be made more pronounced by using any one of many fillers that are available.

Carlos Wolf, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Changing the shape of the face with Botox and fillers

This can be improved using Botox to the masseter muscles. This will slim the face. You can also add filler to the chin area. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Chipmunk Cheeks. Get Galtox

GALTOX education

Muscle hypertrophy from repeat grinding of teeth when patients are sleeping may result in overly prominent masseter muscles. This can be examined by clenching ones jaw and looking at the contours of the jaw line. If the jaw line looks more pronounced and a palpable firm area is noted indicating flexed muscle then this would warrant an evaluation by a physician hopefully a plastic surgeon with expert command of the anatomy of the face and consideration for botox treatment of this area. 

Buccal lipectomy is an extreme intervention. Consideration for this should be undertaken only after exhaustive evaluation of non surgical and conservative care. 

Chin hypoplasia may be amenable to filler and would be a temporary treatment. 

R. Brannon Claytor, MD, FACS
Bryn Mawr Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Fillers

Obviously photos are only part of the story so an in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is ideal. Fillers are a great option to help correct downturned corners of the mouth. There is a surgical procedure available as well, which can be performed under local anesthesia, called a "corner-of-the-mouth" lift but it must be performed by a highly qualified surgeon as there are risks of scars and the quality of the scar may depend on the technical capabilities of the surgeon. I'm a much bigger fan of fillers than surgery for this issue.

Regarding your cheeks, I think you could address it with Botox to the masseter and perhaps enhancing the cheekbone areas with a filler like Voluma. I would caution against overdoing things in your cheeks.

A pointy chin can sometimes be addressed with fillers to shape the jaw as well as consideration of a chin reduction procedure. Best wishes! - Dr. Sayed

Tim Sayed, MD, MBA, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Reshaping the jawline botox or VASER/ThermiRF

Botox to the masseter is a great option for contouring the jaw. Another option would be VASER/ThermiRF. I recommend getting a formal consultation with a facial contouring expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Combination treatment with injectables

The photos are limited and really do not replace an in-person evaluation with an experienced provider. That being said, I believe fillers and possibly Botox maybe the way to go. For example, fillers such as Juvederm UltraPlus or Restylane will help with the downturned corners of the mouth and marionette lines and Voluma could help with your chin concern. I would also consider either Juvederm or Voluma along the jawline and prejowl sulcus to help revolumize your lower face. Finally, I would add some fillers along the lateral cheek/zygoma and possibly some Botox into the masseters to make your face more oval. I hope this helps. See an experienced injector. 

Shaun Patel, MD
Miami Physician

Botox for masseter reduction

Botox to help with teeth grinding is a great option but in your case this treatment will not have a beneficial cosmetic result for you.  I would consider a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.  

Martin Jugenburg, MD