Will having Sweat Gland Removal of the armpits stop bad odor?

Hello I had botox to stop sweating due to me hating the bad odour that comes from having to wear longs leeves. The botox didn't stop the bad smell. I am thining of having this operation now after speaking to one cosmetic surgeon. Will having this operation done prevent the smell and how severe or dangerous is it? I got the feeling it was straight forward. Is this a common operation now an people just don't talk about it? Thank you

MiraDry - my best recommendation for odor/sweat control

MiraDry is a noninvasive, in-office procedure that uses microwaves to destroy sweat glands and apocrine (odor producing) glands in the armpits. Patients typically have a greater than 80% reduction with just one treatment. This means that most patients no longer need deodorant or antiperspirant after treatment.

Note: it is surprising that the odor did not resolve with botox, which also very effectively, albeit temporarily, reduces sweating.  Sometimes, certain foods, including garlic and onions, can contribute to odor.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Reduce sweat and smell from underarm

Typically to reduce sweat and smell you need to reduce both the sudoriferous (sweat) glands as well as the apocrine glands (odor) producing.  Hair can hold onto smell so removing hair can be helpful.  In my practice, we combine the use of radiofrequency needling (fractora) with laser hair removal to maximal improve the underarm area.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reduce sweat and smell from underarm

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Underarm sweating and odor

We use the Palomar Laser Liposuction system to destroy the sweat glands and then suction out the residual glands and contents.

All patients have had a dramatic decrease in both the sweating and staining/odor.  It is the gland that creates both problems.

Best!

Dr Bengtson

Underarm sweating and odor

Best!

Dr Bengtson

Miradry

Our office specializes in Miraday. Miradry just got FDA clearance for elimination of all hair colors under the arm. It also has clearance for the elimination of underarm sweating and odor.

Miradry

Miradry Non Surgical Cure for Sweat and Smell

First of all make sure your "heart pain" is not serious and needs separate treatment. Miradry is the best way to correct your problem. Excess sweat (hyperhydrosis), and smelly armpits (bromhydrosis) are caused by eccrine (sweat) and apocrine glands whose secretion is modified by bacteria causing a bad odor. Miradry eliminates these glands permanently and solves both problems. You will never need to use deodorant again eliminating your Aluminum toxicity issue.

Precision Tx for sweat gland ablation of the underarms

Precision Tx can provide 90% reduction in both apocrine and eccrine glands and can actually be done as a one-time, one-hour in-office procedure under local anesthesia. In the hands of the right surgeon, it is very safe and there is only a single 3-4mm incision that is almost unnoticeable once healed. Unlike external application of thermal energy, the Precision applies laser energy directly from underneath the skin, where the glands actually live.

Treatment for armpit sweating and odor

There were several options besides Botox. Miradry and thermai RF as well as precision TX make help correct this disorder

Treatment for armpit sweating and odor

MiraDry over surgery

The smell of sweat is a mixture of two things- first of all apocrine glands (these are different for sweat glands called eccrine glands), and the second is bacterial proliferation in the sweat (from eccrine glands). Botox only treats one of the two causes. 

Surgery has been abandoned over a decade ago due to the high rate of scarring, and prolonged recovery times, this was replaced by curretage and suction, and now by a non- invasive method known as miraDry. This involves two treatments 3 months apart, and uses focused electromagnetic energy to target BOTH eccrine and apocrine glands. 

It does not work in all cases of bromohidrosis (smell), but in my hands it has at least an 80% chance. This can be combined with Botox for a higher success rate. 

Cheers
Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

MiraDry over surgery

Cheers
Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Sweat Gland Removal

Thank you for the question. There are two good alternatives to having your sweat glands removed. One is Mira Dry, which is a non-invasive procedure done in a doctors office. Typically it requires two treatments. Many patients report that this also helps reduce the odor. The second is Precision TX, which is a laser procedure. This is done under local anesthesia either in a doctors office or out-patient surgery center. Precision TX reports a  90% reduction in sweating in a series of patients after just one treatment.
I think that these are much better options for hyperhidrosis then older techniques. Good luck.

Sweat Gland Removal

Bromhidrosis and sweat gland excision

We no longer do this procedure. As a matter of fact, excision is rarely if ever done. Suction curettage replaced it 10 years ago and has since been abandoned for the no incision miraDry procedure which works exceedingly well in treating both hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) and bromhidrosis (odor). Read the miraDry book on the link below. 

Bromhidrosis and sweat gland excision