Not happy with my 550cc breast implants, should I have them redone? (photos)

Hello Doctors, first off, I am a 22 year old female, 5'2, 115 pds. I had breast augmentation last year in June. I chose to go with 550cc silicone gel implants. I love my operation although I do feel they are a bit too big for my body type and size. I would have liked to be a small or medium C, and I was told 550 cc would give me a medium to a full C. I was officially measured as a triple DDD. Should I have them redone? Cost prices? Any input or advice, will be very much appreciated! Thanks

Large breast implants (photo)

What you should do depends on your level of dissatisfaction.  Your result looks nice, symmetric, no contracture, rippling, malposition, or other issues.  Some women NEED to have more surgery because of these or other complications.  Many women desire the shape and proportion you now have, but cannot achieve it because of their body type, skin quality, or for another reason.  You're young, breasts will change, you'll need them re-done at some future time anyway.  Re-doing them carries all the same risks as the original procedure, and is costly.  My advice:  Enjoy your DDD's as long as you can.

Breast Augmentation Revision of Larger Silicone Implants

Thank  you for your photos and question. I am sorry you are unhappy with your result. Since it has been nearly a year and you are feeling like they are too large for you, they probably are. It is difficult to chose an implant based on a cup size because there is no bra industry standard. If you feel that you did not achieve the look you wanted, you can down size your implant. If the downsizing creates skin laxity, you may require a  lift to keep your breast shape the way you want it. Find a new surgeon, and be sure they are certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery who specializes in breast implant revision. Best wishes.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Avoid over implantation

550 cc implants weigh over 1 lb each, which stretches your skin and the implant descends.Unfortunately, you have not told us your bra size just your cup size.If you are 32 or 34 each 100 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.If you are 36 or 38 each 200 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.From this, you can compute the volume required to achieve your desired goal.I recommend a circumareola approach to excise the excess skin you have from being stretched out from over implantation.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Reducing your implant size

Your breasts are large and if you feel that they are too big for you, then you can certainly have them exchanged to a smaller implant. There will certainly be costs associated with this and only your original surgeon can be expected to give any price discount for this. You will pay full price from any other surgeon. If you have these exchanged, you can also talk to the surgeon about revising your areolar scars which are unfortunately malpositioned outside of your areolas and is very visible. 

Matthew Schulman, MD

550 cc implants

Certainly if you want to go smaller you can.  Choosing the right implant for you would have to be done in the office after a careful evaluation.

Silicone implants

Yeah, I agree they are too large.  You should downsize considerably about 375 in my opinion.  It should be a simple switch of implants with nothing else required.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast implant size

The most common reason why women need another operation after breast augmentation is because the size is not right. The wrong size is split pretty much down the middle between too big or too small. Your preoperative evaluation probably included measurements of your breasts, and your plastic surgeon likely provided you with a range of implant options that fit nicely in your frame. Size is definitely a personal preference, and I generally tell my patients that the most important determinant of size is how you feel - whether fully clothed, in a bathing suit, or naked. You should feel comfortable and confident with your size and shape in all of those situations. The measured cup size (which can differ greatly by bra manufacturer) is less important. If the implant dimensions are truly too big for the width of your breast and you feel they are too large then a re-operation to place a smaller implant that fits better within the width of your breast will likely make you feel more in balance. Since you are young, you likely have good skin elasticity so that your skin will shrink back down around a smaller implant. If you want to be a lot smaller and your skin doesn't have good elasticity then you may require a lift. Your plastic surgeon should be able to give you advice based on how stretchy your skin is, your breast dimensions, and ideal size.

Kamakshi Zeidler, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Not happy with my 550cc breast implants, should I have them redone?

I think that a reduction in the size of your implants would be very reasonable based upon your concerns.

Breast implants scar

Hello

In my opinion your implants look ok. If you don't like the size thats another thing you could go smaller and they will look great 2. but now as far as the contour and shape they look ok to me.
What i think you should get fix is the periareolar scar.If you decide to change them this will be fix during the same surgery.

Dr Gustavo Almanzar

Gustavo Almanzar, MD

550 cc too big??

It certainly sounds like you would be better off w a smaller implant, probably in the 400cc range as suggested by the other doctors. Most reputable surgeons will charge a reduced fee to change implant size in this type of situation. 
There are several methods to estimate the breast size and appearance that a given implant will produce, real self readers should look into these option before augmentation.  

Joel Aronowitz, MD