What is better for the Chin Lipo; regular lipo or Smartlipo (laser lipo)?

Hello, I want to do lipo on my chin, but I see some surgeons don’t do smartlipo (laser) and some do. What is the difference, what is better? Is there a difference in recovering time and skin tighten?

Laser liposuction in Los Angeles

Laser vs. traditional liposuction can both be used successfully. The difference in results lies in the amount of skin excess you have in your neck. Energy-driven liposuction procedures tend to tighten skin a bit better. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Surgical competence

I echo what has been said so many times. It's the skill of the surgeon, not the equipment used.

I have access to many different sets of liposuction equipment.

Given the choice, I would use laser-assisted liposuction.

I don't think my results would be all that different without the laser.

Look for an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon and have an in-person consultation.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

The Skill Level Of The Surgeon Is Key For You

The answer to your question to me is fairly simple. Those that have SmartLipo will recommend that and those that do not will recommend conventional liposuction. People very skilled in liposuction should only do these procedures – and if someone has SmartLipo and is not skilled in liposuction, they should not be doing these procedures. SmartLipo is approved as laser-assisted liposuction – so even though not everyone suctions fat after using the laser, we always do. The argument SmartLipo users give for using the laser is that it aids in skin tightening, and several clinical studies out there do support that.

Both work – the skill level of the surgeon is key for you.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Submental Smartlipo

I recommend Smartlipo for your chin; this procedure will remove unwanted fat while tightening the skin. It is best for you to consult with your surgeon to decide which procedure is best for you. Submental Smartlipo will give you a contour on your jawline.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Liposuction under the chin

The surgeon is the most important variable. Whether they use liposuction or smartlipo is less important. Look for results in their photos, experience and reputation. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction under the chin

Liposuction under the chin removes fatty deposits to improve contours. Whether traditional liposuction is better than laser liposuction is a matter of opinion. Be sure to have your face evaluated by a board certified facial plastic surgeon with expertise in these procedures. Don't take a chance by having smart lips performed by a physician who lacks surgical training,

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Liposuction Regular Lipo or Regular Lipo

I have not seen a study showing no benefit of Smart Lipo to traditional liposuction. But there may be an increased risk of complications, especially since it seems this device is used by many doctors with absolutely no formal surgical training and just entered the world of aethetic medicine.Liposuction is the most common surgical procedures each year in the United States. Surprisingly, most doctors who perform liposuction in the United States are not plastic surgeons, in fact, many people have no formal surgical training whatsoever. It seems hard to believe, but many doctors who perform liposuction and Smart Lipo has not had any more training in liposuction than a ‘weekend course’. I fear that some practitioners, and consumers now view liposuction as a “simple” procedure, because it does not mean to make big cuts, and it requires little, if any, suturing. Nothing could be further from the truth. Liposuction, in my mind, is a very challenging operation that requires careful planning and preparation, and a lot of care and finesse when it actually performed. It requires a three-dimensional understanding of the stock of human anatomy, an understanding that is second nature to a surgeon alone. I think that it is often a lack of knowledge of anatomy (and perhaps the body’s response to surgery) that leads to poor results in liposuction and body contouring, which unfortunately often seen.Although many aesthetic cosmetic procedures are not performed in hospital emergency rooms that works, see the fact that a hospital has granted a surgeon privileges for a given procedure the surgeon has met an accepted standard of competence. It also means that your surgeon will be able to take care of you in a hospital should any complications from cosmetic surgery arise.If you plan to have some type of cosmetic surgery performed, you should do your due diligence to determine if your surgeon has appropriate qualifications and experience 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Neck Liposuction and Techniques

Results vary depending on the person performing the procedure.  I tend to use SmartLipo on the neck because I get very good tissue tightening and contouring with this. But I had similar results before using it.  The most important thing is that you go to someone reputable and good, as this area can cause serious complications if not performed correct. Best, Dr. Emer.

Neck liposuction

There are 2 compartments of fat located in the neck.  These are sub-mental fat and sub-platysmal fat. Submental fat is removed with  traditional liposuction,  while sub-platysmal fat is removed with a neck lift to surgically remove the fat along with a platysma plasty.  It is more important to look at the results of the surgeon rather than which technique is used.  For many examples,  please see the link and video below

Thank you for your question.  Honestly the most important factor in choosing the plastic surgeon to perform liposuction of the chin and neck area is the skill and experience of the surgeon and not the method used.  Please do your homework and choose a very experienced board certified plastic surgeon.

That said there is some evidence that laser liposuction can increase the amount of skin tightening following liposuction.