I still have a droopy eyelid 3 months after Botox. Could it be permanent? (Photo)

I had Botox 3 months ago for forehead and crows feet. The dermatologist injected without markings or squint of left eye. A week later I saw him regarding a left droopy eyelid. He gave me a refund and iopidine drops. It helped temporarily. It got a bit better in the 5th week. But 3 weeks ago it got worse again. When I use the drops it opens my eyes a lot. It becomes bigger then my right eye. But only last 4 hours. Could this be permanent ? If the muscle was injected too much or a nerve was hit?

The droop you are experiencing could take 3 to 5 months to dissipate. As you are at 3 months already I would suggest seeking advice from an ophthalmologist. 

Eyelid Droop From Botox

Droop from Botox is not permanent.  It may take 3-5 months to go away.  You could have had this droop prior to treatment and it may have become more apparent after treatment and now is back to its original state.  Especially if its 3 months from your previous treatment.  I'd suggest seeking a consultation with a ophthalmologist if you are still concerned of if you are having any symptoms, such as a change in vision ect.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

I still have a droopy eyelid 3 months after Botox. Could it be permanen

The nerve that makes this muscle function is no where near the injection site. It can take longer for the Botox to wear off. I have never heard of a permanent problem. Best to see someone

I still have a droopy eyelid 3 months after Botox. Could it be permanent?

Droopy eyelids caused by Botox is not permanent, the effects should usually take 3-5 months to fully resolve  

One of the side effects following treatment with Botox is a drooping eyelid. This is something that:

1) Can occur even if the injections are performed properly
2) Is temporary, and generally resolves when the effects of the Botox wear off

Botox lasts for an average of 3 months, and sometimes longer depending on the patient. I would recommend keeping in contact with your doctor, as he/she will be able to advise you accordingly. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

#botulinum toxin, #eyelids and #cosmeticsurgery

Dear Sky34

Thank you for your question and photo.  It would be good to see  a photo of you before your treatment. 
There is some differences in the shape of your eyes.  The Iodipine will make a dramatic difference in lid opening- but probably you could use a small amount of Naphcon A now- it will be less irritating.
You should follow up with your dermatologist.  I am sure this will resolve.

With Warm Regards
Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

The effects of Botox are temporary whether the result is good (softening of lines and wrinkles) or bad (eyelid droop). It could be possible that the eyelid droop is still due to the temporary effects of Botox but at three months that should have resolved. I think you would benefit from a consultation with an ophthalmologist. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it possible that this was present before?

While it is possible that 3 months out a little drooping could be present, one possibility is that the area had a little bit of a droop before Botox and it is being noticed now.  When I see my patients for Botox I take before pictures and always point out any and all asymmetry as it is common for folks to not be aware of little areas with differences until they are pointed out?  Do you have any 'before' pictures to compare this?  If this is something the doctor took prior to your procedure, you may want to check it out now and see what it looked like in advance.

As I mentioned, if it is 3 months, it is also possible that a drooping like you are noticing could still be from the Botox if it was caused by it.  Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and droopy Eyelids

There are no permanent droops from Botox.  The effect can last up to 4 months but will all go away.  It will take some time but all will go back to normal.

Botox effects are not permanent

The effect of BOTOX injections is not permanent.  BOTOX wears off and your nerve endings rebuild the ability to stimulate their muscle, thus everything goes back to normal.
I am not sure why the droopy eyelid would get worse now.  I suggest a consultation with an opthalmologist to get a proper assessment of your eyelid, to ensure there is nothing else going on.

Martin Jugenburg, MD