Buttock implants. oval or round? (photos)

Hello Doctors, I am 5.5' , 120 lb. My buttock measurements are width 14 cm and height 16 cm. I would like to have buttock implants but I am not sure what shape to use. round or oval? I can not have fat transfer at the same time so which shape is better for achieving my goal pics? I would like to know if round implants could give some volume on my hips as oval does. Thank you for your help!

Butt implant with 500-600 cc

Thanks for sumbitting your pictures. Based on them you have enough tissue at your buttock side. In my opinion only performing an implant procedure with about 500-600 cc would be enough to achieve the desired result. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good Luck....

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting and buttock implants

We routinely perform simultaneous transfer of fat to the lateral buttock area and buttock implants to the central buttock area. This will result in the most buttock enhancement available today. We have been performing these surgeries for over 10 years without any complications. I would highly recommend that you consider a round implant as you look like you are young and active and this will prevent worries about implant rotation and deformity in the future. To date, we have not had to undo buttock implants using these principles. Please see results below. 

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Buttock implants - what kind

Thank you for asking about your buttock implants.

• Neither round nor oval buttock implants will enlarge your hips.
  • Generally the round implants are preferred - 
  • They look the same even if they change position and give good projection.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Buttock implants

The size and shape of your implants are best determined by the surgeon that you choose.  He/She will work with you to determine the best way to give you your desired results. If you were my patient I would put in a larger style 3 AART implant. I like to use the round to avoid and awkward positioning if they shift.

Round shape implant

Based on your photos, I would recommend you go for 350-500CC round shape implant which is best suit you.

Buttock Implants

There are arguments for and against using oval buttock implants. Should they shift or rotate then there will be significant buttock asymmetry. This concern does not exist with round buttock implants. Conversely the natural shape of the buttocks is not perfectly round either. Regardless of the buttock implant shape chosen it will not provide a hip augmentation effect.

Implant shape

I prefer round implants because the shaped implants can shift and then might look a bit stranger. Best of luck.

Buttock implant selection

In short, a combination of sculpting your waistline with liposuction and augmenting your buttock with implants provides the best chance for a long lasting "hour-glass" figure. Please read on for more surgical details:

Regarding buttock augmentation, let me start off by saying that I currently see at least 2 - 3 patients per week, from around the world, that failed "brazilian buttock lift" (i.e. the fat melted away after 10 - 12 months) and are now seeking a more reliable and permanent option (i.e. buttock implants). 

One of the most important factors in creating the perfect derriere with implants is indeed selecting the right size AND shape. I have found the best way to assure this is to simply measure the actual dimensions of the patient’s buttock cheeks. With these anatomical measurements, I can select an implant that not only significantly augments the buttock but also supplies the correct 3-dimensional enhancement to look as real as possible...even in the most petite patients. Traditionally, teardrop oval implants have a 30+% risk of rotation and thus unnaturally change the buttock shape/appearance when doing so.  However, one year ago I created and patented a new "Stanton Anatomic" shaped implant that avoids this issue - not a single rotation problem in 200+ patients. The benefit of this is the fact that ~80% of women patients have more of an oval shaped buttock cheek than round, thus creating a much more natural and harmonious buttock contour. Thus, the only way for you to know what implant works best is to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon specializing in this procedure and have him/her take your measurements before selecting an implant and proceeding with surgery. 
The largest stock buttock implant currently available in the USA is a 690cc round implant. For the implant brand i prefer and my Stanton Anatomic Oval implants, the largest is 600cc. Indeed custom implants can be ordered larger, not only at a premium price but at a premium risk for most patients'. Unlike breast implants which are placed under the very expandable tissue of the breast and half of the pectoral major muscle, buttock implants should only be placed under or at least within the largest strongest muscle of the body, the gluteus maximus muscle, which is not nearly as expandable or forgiving. Thus most patients simply do not have a large enough native buttock muscle to fit an implant much over 500 ccs', without leading to significant complication such as wound breakdown/opening &/or implant exposure...necessitating removal. If a patient wants larger implants, 9-12 months after the initial implants have settled in to place and the muscle relaxed/stretched, then a second operation can be performed to replace them (similar to the process of going bigger with breast implants).   

Be aware, the "subfascial" space that is sometimes talked about is not a real potential space to place a buttock implant. It is essentially the same as a subcutaneous pocket (ie on top of the muscle/under the skin and fat layer only) and therefore should be avoided at all costs.

Some of those sought after video-vixen and celeb-types (without mentioning names) with cartoonish bottoms could have either gotten extremely lucky with a huge oversized implant (very unlikely if properly placed under the muscle), had a very large volume of filler injected such as silicone, PMMA, Sculptra, or hydrogel - all NOT recommended because of high risk of severe infections, migration and/or hardening over time,  and even deadly consequences in rare but significant instances (if mistakenly injected into the blood stream); and/or have been genetically "blessed" - although quite unlikely.
I generally do not recommend fat grafting at the same time as placing buttock implants because of a significantly increased risk of infection. For fat to survive it must be grafted into muscle, however that is also where the implant sits. Thus, if fat it injected into the implant or implant pocket then it will die and almost assuredly get infected - necessitating removal of the implant as well. Fat transfer later on must be done very carefully and cautiously, preferably by the original surgeon, for the very same reasons as above. In both instances, the risk/reward ratio is very high (meaning high risk to very low potential reward) because over 80% of the fat is likely to melt away yielding very small gains in augmentation. 
Nonetheless, buttock implants are a proven safe and effective method of buttock augmentation as long as the recommendations of a board certified plastic surgeon specialist are adhered to.
Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Butt implants type

Dear spj,

Thanks for submitting your pictures and your wish pictures. From observing your pictures and your  wish pictures, your best option will be oval round ultra soft silicone implants, with a size of either 565 cc or 660 cc, because your wish pictures appear to be different sizes.

As you can see from your own pictures, anatomical butt are oval and not round - height 16 cm and width 14 cm. In reality the height is even longer, because the measurement should be from the posterior Iliac crest bone (where the Gluteal muscle attaches) to the crease. So, if you want natural looking butt, the oval round implants are a much better choice.

It is also important to have the right technique. My technique, which is sub fascial, allows for larger implants than the intra muscular, recovery is quicker and less painful and together with the oval round implant will give you nice 'S' curve (shelf) , nice hips curve and nice projection ( J Lo butt).

As far as fat injection, it is a waste of your time and money, because the fat disappears completely or almost completely within few months or even sooner. I have seen it on many patients who came to my surgery center for butt implants surgery after their big and costly disappointment from the BBL that was done by other surgeons (I do not do BBL).

Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who do lots of butt implants surgery in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with natural look. Also, check the reviews on 'RealSelf' for ratings and positive experience reports.

Dr Widder