How to start a workout routine after a Mommy Makeover?

I had a mommy makeover a week ago on 12/18 and I was wondering, how soon can I start going to the gym. Should I start with low impact cardio… do you know when it's too much?

Here is a link to other questions about exercising after a mommy makeover.

Hopefully this helps!

Post-op Mommy Makeover work out schedule

Great question but the exact time course will depend on the combination of procedures you choose for your MM (mommy makeover).  Always involve your PS, as (s)/he has first hand experience of your surgical course.  Generally, PS will encourage walking to decrease risk of VTE (clots in the legs) and constipation, as soon as the first day. The range of MM usually includes body contouring (lipo, TT) and breast procedures (implants, lifts) and the more involved excisional lifts (TT & implants with lifts) will predictably delay your resumption of heavy cardio. Increasing your blood pressure, heart rate can result in undesirable bleeding complications, seroma, wound separation and possibly capsular contracture, etc.  In So Cal, many of my patients who are pilates afficionados and tennis players will take at least 2 months off strenous work-outs, especially if compression garments are still being utilized.  A yoga guideline is to treat your body with compassion thus listen to those post-surgical places, which push back and don't try to get there in one day.  Good luck.

Thank you for the question. Although your desire to return to exercise is understandable and commendable, you will be much better off listening to your plastic surgeon's advise as opposed to what you hear or read elsewhere. With due respect to other sources, the only resource that you should heed will be your plastic surgeon's,  who knows exactly what was done, how you are progressing, what you are planning on doing ( in terms of exercise etc.) and is ultimately responsible for your care.

Mommy makeover

You should ask you surgeon and follow his/ her advise. After any procedure I suggest my patients to start working out after the month in a slow motion, your body would tell you when is to much.  

Working Out After Your Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Exercise post op

I usually advise to hold on cardio activities for the first two weeks to lessen the risks of bleeding and to avoid strenuous activities that could disrupt the wounds for six weeks to allow adequate healing.  I would strongly encourage you to discuss your exercise activities with your surgeon and get his/her advice as they know what procedure(s) were performed and an best advise you on your return to full activities.

Janet Turkle, MD

Working out after Mommy Makeover

Without knowing which procedures you had during your mommy makeover, it is hard to tell you when to return to your workout routine. Your plastic surgeon will be able to give you specific recommendations based on your healing. 

Resuming exercise after mommy makeover

Your plastic surgeon will give you specific guidance on this. If there was a muscle repair with the tummy tuck then you will need to be careful about lifting for 6 weeks, but how you ramp up to full exercise depends on what exactly was done.

Richard Baxter, MD