How soon after a Mommy Makeover, will I be able to take care of my baby by myself, without any outside help?

Recovery after a mommy makeover concerning lifting. I am planning on having a mommy makeover later this year. I will have a 3 month old baby, and 3 other older children.

How long will I need help caring for children after a mommy make over?

A mommy make over refers to any combination of procedures in tended to correct the unwanted effects of pregnancy and breast feeding.  Commonly a "mommy make over" includes an abdominoplasty.  Presuming that a full abdominoplasty is part of your "mommy make over" you will need help for the first two weeks.  During this time it is important to limit your activity and not create excessive stress or strain in your abdomen.  Following a full abdominoplasty you can normally return to unrestricted activity between 6 and 8 weeks.  If then abdominoplasty is not performed  you're need for help is reduced

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Recovering from a Mommy Makeover & Caring for Others

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

How soon after a Mommy Makeover will I be able to take care of my baby?

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend following the advice of your surgeon, since it can vary depending on the specific type of procedure(s) he or she performs. You should plan on having help for the first 2 weeks post op. It is common to have limited activity for 2 weeks post-op and resume full activities (including lifting, pushing, pulling) around 4-6 weeks post-op. Be cautioned, however, that even though you have resumed full activity at 6 weeks post op, you will likely become fatigued much more quickly for up to 8 weeks.

Best wishes for your recovery!

Mommy make over recovery

Having been a Mom - let me tell you.....a week of recovery to run a house with 4 children is not enough.

• Assuming you have a tummy tuck with muscle repair and some kind of breast surgery -
  • And that you are a normal human being not a super-Mom dynamo
  • And none of your 3 children are old enough to help care for the house and your children,
  • You need 2 weeks of help - the first week someone has to do everything including look after you,
  • The second week the person has to do all the laundry, cooking, shopping and baby care
  • The older children should be in school,
  • And you can supervise them and help a bit with the baby.
  • After 2 full weeks, you can do everything in the house but someone else needs to help with groceries.
  • You will be exhausted the 3rd week. By week 4, you will be fine.

After a mommy makeover most women can resume normal everyday responsibilities in about a week.

Obviously patients heal differently in a mommy makeover is not one specific operation. Nevertheless, without complications most patients have return to normal everyday activity including driving in about a week.

Great question and one of the most important questions to know the answer for when considering surgery. You should have support for child care for at least 2 weeks, and for many patients, up to 4 weeks. I have had several women come in when they have a 1 year old to discuss surgery, only to return about 6 years later to open up the discussion again because they finally have the coverage/ability to have their child cared for during the recovery time. Good luck.

Eric Desman, MD
Alexandria Plastic Surgeon

How soon after a Mommy Makeover, will I be able to take care of my baby?

A Mommy Makeover usually involves 2 or more procedures at a time. A tummy tuck with a breast procedure (breast lift, augmentation or reduction). With the mommy makeover, I advise my patients to take 3 weeks off work, avoid exercise for 4-6 weeks and no heavy lifting following this surgery. Ideally, you should have childcare in place for at least the first 2 weeks after their surgery. I don’t advise that patients have surgery so closely following the birth of a child as your body is still in its pre-pregnancy state. You need to allow at least 9 months for your body to heal following the birth of your child and your breasts must not be lactating. Be sure to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with elite credentials with the mommy makeover procedure.

2-4 weeks

Typically depends on each patient individually but 2-4 weeks is a reasonable time frame, I still ask my patients not to lift over 15 pounds for 6 weeks though

Munish K. Batra, MD
Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Caring for children following mommy makeover

I recommend that my patients with small children have child care assistance for at least two weeks following their mommy makeover.  You should avoid lifting more than 10-15 pounds for 2-4 weeks following your procedure.  Ask a friend or grandparent to help with childcare until you are capable of performing all of your household duties following your procedure.

Mommy makeover recovery

Dear Smithy,

For my patients, due to the extensive muscle involvement with my techniques (Ultimate Breast Lift and Tummy Tuck w/mesh), it usually takes a good two months before you can pick up anything heavy (children). The longer you protect your investment with my techniques, the better results you will have long-term.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon