Flabby arms would liposuction help? (Photos)

I am younger but I have flabby arms. I'm in my late 20s. Will liposuction help? What are the costs associated and downtime if so?

Liposuction may help but arm lift may be necessary.

Thank you for your question and photo. Whether liposuction can give you the slimmer arms you desire depends on the firmness and laxity of your upper arm skin. If the skin is loose and sagging, then simply removing fat with liposuction will not firm up the arm’s appearance. It’s difficult to say without examining you, however your photos suggest that this may be a possibility. Sagging skin can only be corrected with an arm lift, and you would have to decide that the benefit of this procedure is worth the scar that will result. As far as cost and downtime, this will vary greatly depending on if you ultimately have liposuction, an arm lift or combination of the two. To determine the best course of action and what kind of cost and downtime you can expect, schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who will be able to answer all of your questions after a physical examination. 

Eugene Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Won't Tighten Skin

Liposuction is designed to reduce fat in specific areas. Based on the photos you provided, it appears the skin on your upper arms has lost much of its elasticity. Simply removing fatty tissue could actually exacerbate the concerns you have. An arm lift (brachioplasty) may be the best option in your case. It tones the upper arms by removing excess skin. I suggest that you schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon with plenty of body contouring experience to learn more about your options.

Arthur M. Cambeiro, MD

Will liposuction help with flabby arms?

Hi and thank you for providing photos with your question. It is hard to say without examining your skin quality in person to determine how much skin retraction you could expect with liposuction alone, but it is likely it might exasperate the problem and make the skin on your arms looser. I would encourage you to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Ashley Gordon, MD

Flabby arms, would liposuction help?

Hi, Misslilliana

Although liposuction will help with fat reduction and debulking, it will not tighten the skin.
If your goal is smaller, tighter arms, you will likely need liposuction and skin excision.
Please visit a board-certified plastic surgeon to be examined in-person. 
Based on examination, your plastic surgeon should guide you to the best procedure to achieve you goal. B

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting -- ARMS

This area needs a hi definition procedure. I suggest seeing an expert for treatment as this requires skill and expertise. Unfortunately, cost cannot be determined without a formal evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Tight arms

Liposuction with laser may help improve your arms, but will not give you tight arms. An arm tuck will give you tight arms at the expense of a scar. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss all your options.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Flabby upper arms?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  The pictures do suggest skin laxity combined with some fat that may be amenable to treatment.  I normally determine the amount of fat present by pinching a double layer of skin to determine its thickness.  The more subcutaneous fat present the greater the reduction in girth of the arm and improvement.  This does not provide significant skin shrinkage however but patients feel happy when they but there arm into a sleeve and it no longer feels bulky.  Alternatively, if you have very little residual fat due to previous weight loss and have mostly lax skin than a brachioplasty for skin excision might be considered if you are willing to accept the necessary long surgical incision line.External and internal skin tightening devices are variable in their success rate.  They also usually only provide temporary benefit. You can decide whether you are willing to try this after considering the involved expense.

Good luck and best wishes.Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Flabby arms would liposuction help?

Hi and thanks for your question. When researching make sure you are quite aware of the different liposuctions available and which one would be appropriate in your case. IMHO you would benefit from Vaser liposuction. This type of liposuction (ultrasonic) has tremendous ability to stimulate the skin for shrinkage. 

We have had the pleasure of adding  Dr. Onelio Garcia unto the staff at Imagos PlasticSurgery. Dr. Garcia is considered a leading authority in the use of the Vaser and has written extensively in medical books and journals on the subject. I would encourage you to do your research.

Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in liposuction . Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. We accomodate patinets from as far away as California. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

Give yourself the highest percentage of a sucssesful operation. Good luck,

Dr. PG

Flabby arms would liposuction help?

Based on your photos it appears that SmartLipo would be a good choice for you in terms if improving the shape of the arms as well as tightening the skin more than traditional liposuction. The costs would vary depending on your choice of procedure, type of anesthetic, etc.  Downtime is relatively short, only a few days before returning to basic activities, and exercise in 10-14 days.

Liposuction for flabby arms?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• It is unusual to have such loose arms at your age.
  • It suggests either that you have lost a lot of weight or that you had a rapid growth spurt at puberty, causing stretching of skin in the area.
  • Liposuction tends to loosen, not tighten skin -
  • And laser liposuction does not give a lot of tightening.
  • You should have a consultation to discuss the pros/cons of liposuction vs an arm lift.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS