Why do so many surgeons make you find your own caregiver for your days after surgery?

Most surgeons want you to be with someone for at least 24 hours after surgery. The two surgeons that I visited told me they do not provide a caregiver and that I have to find one on my own. I should not have to humiliate myself by going all over the countryside looking for a caregiver when this requires me to announce that I'm having breast surgery. Why are so many of them requiring this?

Surgery and aftercare

Aftercare is important. It is especially important right after surgery when you might be groggy from anesthesia or in pain and unable to handle routine things for yourself. If  a patient in my office is unable to find help, we offer nurses who can go home with the patient.  The patient will then have to pay that person for their time.

Post op caregivers

It is wise to have someone trustworthy to assist you for at least 24 hours post op following breast surgery and 5 days after a tummy tuck.  Our office has arranged with a local home health agency which we have personnel trained specifically to assist our post op patients.  Keep asking around at local home health agencies in your area.  Best wishes

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Assistance after surgery

There are many home nursing or private nursing services that can help with your care after surgery. This sounds like it would be a better option for you than a friend or family member. Insurance does not always cover these services, but it's worth asking. 

Tracy Kayan, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

After Care Services

I am so sorry to hear that your PS office is not helping your find extra assistance with a care giver service.

Depending on where you are located, we have a company we work with called NurseCore that has been excellent with our patients  in aftercare here in Miami. 

Nursing care after surgery

For most procedures, so long as you are with family members, you simply don't need a caregiver.  These days, virtually all cosmetic surgery is performed on an ambulatory basis.  If you desire to have someone with you, there are nursing registries throughout the country.  I perform breast augmentation and reduction with great regularity and have yet to see a need for nursing assistance.